iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need LT40HD G28 Alternator recommendation

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, August 07, 2019, 07:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Hello to the board - After much troubleshooting, with a qualified tech, it was determined that we need a new alternator for our mill ... but, instead of buying one directly from WM, I was simply told to go to town and buy one from any decent auto parts store.

In short, and after four lost work days, we have had zero luck ffinding an alternative to the OEM unit.  The AC Delco part number we were told to use, "CS160," doesn't cross to anything (according to the parts stores we've visited).

Does anyone have a suitable part number to replace the 105A Vans 050287 that came with the mill?

Needless to say, we can pay the big bucks and get the OEM part ... but we were told by WM that we shouldn't waste the money.

Thank you for your time.. 

"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Southside

Do you have an alternator shop around?  Every one I have ever been to looks the same, dark, parts everywhere, all kinds of old test equipment around, but in the middle of it is a guy who can fix any starter or alternator ever made and knows the part number off the top of his head.  I have one here I bring all my stuff to and he is awesome, only had one starter he could not fix, it was 28 years old after all, and he found me a replacement right off the bat.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

richhiway

CS 160 is the case style not a part # Anyway there should be a part # stamped in the case by the mounting hole. Most  105 amp will be the same , the position(clocking) of the connections to the mounting hole is just different. You should just be able to match it up. You may need to use your old pulley. 
If you could find a starter shop they would probably repair yours. It might only need a regulator.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

logs2lumber

I have a cat 51 horse engine my alternator is 12v 140 amps part number 213-4644 i hope this will help you.

Thank You Sponsors!