iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tracks?

Started by bob c, October 12, 2009, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob c

I am new to the site and have found it to be very imformative. I'm starting a small firewood business on the side. I have a skid steer with tires. I am looking at getting tracks for it, to get more traction on the wet clay and snow. Does anyone have an opionion as to which ones would be better,the metal tracks that fit over the tires, or the rubber ones that fit over the hubs. Thanks for any advise.

ely

all i have is an opinion. i have yet to buy my tracks for a bobcat. i like the metal ones from mclaren ind.

if you are going to be on someones grass or concrete or asphalt. you may want / need to go with the rubber ones.

if you use it mainly in the woods i would say metal.

okmulch

Welcome to the forum!

I use  steel grouser tracks over rubber tires. They work well but tend to tear the ground up more then my rubber tracked skid steers. I work on some rough terrain cutting trees and steep banks and the grousers have always pulled me out of the holes I manage to find. :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Magicman

Can't help you with your question, but I can say....Welcome to FF !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rickywashere

welcome to FF and if it where me i would go metal anything you work with very much needs metal to last

chucker

;D metal tracks!! you can weld them easier then trying to vulcanize a rubber track!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

bob c

Thanks for all of the replies, it makes my decision much easier, I will definitely be going with the metal tracks.

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forum Bob.

Let us know how the tracks work out for you.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: bob c on October 13, 2009, 05:46:18 AM
I will definitely be going with the metal tracks.

Metal is the way to go if you aren't driving on lawns and pavement. But if doing that you can just take them off and your good to go.

sjfarkas

There are companies that make steel track systems for skidsteers.  They bolts onto the hubs.  I've been told that the steel tracks that go over tires tear the tires up.  I have a bobcat with rubber tracks and they can take a lot of abuse.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

CLL

I had a case skidsteer with grouser tracks, they go over the tires, they took a ton  of punishment and never had any tire troubles. The biggest cause of tires being tore up is improper tire pressure. Had a friend tear a couple of tires up, but he run the tires low on pressure to get better traction, which he didn't need.
Too much work-not enough pay.

barbender

I've found that my tires like to spin inside the tracks when I get into greasy clay or snow (grouser metal tracks)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!