iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kerf Allowance on Accuset

Started by stavebuyer, July 28, 2011, 08:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Had a load of hickory 4/4 lumber rejected today. Lumber was on avg a 1/32 shy, running between 1 1/16" and 1 7/32". Customer wants 1 1/8" min. I got lazy and relied on the Accuset II and didn't verifiy. The number I am running for kerf allowance is .1137. I am using 1 1/2" .055 guage WM Doublehard blades. The kerf allowance was programmed at delivery and seemed to be dead on until this week. The easy fix is bump the lumber thickness to 1 3/16" but wondering if my kerf allowance has been shy all along or if something is slightly out of whack causing the kerf to be larger?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have often wondered the samething on my Woodmizer. I use a .045 x 1¼ x 158; 10° on my saw. I never paid it much attention until about 2 months ago.
When I saw 1 inch lumber now, I set my saw to cut 1 1/8. It gets me within 1/16 of an inch to the plus side. I don't know why????? But this is how I deal with it.
I don't have a contract with anyone to saw lumber as close as you do but I have never had any complaints from a customer knowing his lumber is a frog's hair over an inch.
I just keep telling myself this is rough cut lumber and I get it as close as I can. I check about ever 5th board with a tape measure as I walk along.
My customers also know what a planer is for...LOL.. and we check thickness together until they are happy.

If you come up with how to reset the thickness using accused, please let us know. I'd like to know how.
Good-Luck
In my opinion....you have posted a GREAT post. You're making me scratch my head!
David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Usually the kerf setting on the Accuset is .096 on a .045 blade and .110 on the .055 blade. The nice thing is you can change it if the lumber is a little thin or a little thick. Make sure you save the setting twice.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

tyb525

On my manual mill, I cut every 1 1/8" to get lumber at about 1 1/16th, +- 1/16". That's good enough for my use, and I haven't had anyone else complain, I suspect cause all my customers are woodworkers and will plane them down to 3/4" anyways.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jcbrotz

Did you check your gradant #. I had mine changed on me twice ??? I found it the first time but had to call woodmizer the second time when CRS kicked in.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Bibbyman

The only thing I can think of is that the blades you're running now has more set in them.   

Our hardwood market wants 1-1/8" but will accept down to 1" and a large as 1-3/8".  It's pretty tough not to hit that window.  I don't think we've ever had a board rejected because of thickness.  (We've inadvertently made a few too thin but it's easy to spot when it's an inch or under.)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warren

I run 0.055" blades and usually program my Accuset for 0.125" kerf.  I also program 1" boards at 1-1/16" and 5/4 boards at 1-9/32" to ensure I may be a little plump, but generally not scant, even if I have wobbles due to knots, or odd grain.  I have not had any complaints on too thick or too thin.

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

stavebuyer

Wood-Mizer tech support suggested bumping the kerf allowance up to .125" I'd like to get the kerf as close as possible and then add any additional "safety margin" to the board thickness when sawing for this customer.

Warren

Where ya located in KY ?  I am up in Pendleton County...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!