iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old dead maple with lots of figure.

Started by cutterboy, December 17, 2016, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I found this dead maple in my woods this fall. It's old and dead, but where the bark has fallen off you can see the ripples and I think it would make great looking lumber. The thing is.... it's been dead for a long time, there are no branches left,and it looks like it may be hollow. The outside is hard but I don't know how deep the wood is sound. I think I'll cut it down this spring or summer and see what it looks like.

All the best, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Brad_bb

Winter is the perfect time to cut.  No ticks.  Ground is frozen so you can get an atv with log arch to get it out of the woods.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

You could bore the noise of the saw into it and that will tell you if it's rotten inside.
If it is, leave it for the bugs and birds.  :christmas:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

That maple is curly.  It could have some spectacular and valuable lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

"Highly Valuable"!

But seriously, get it on the ground and see if you'll be able to get any good wood our of it.  It' will by curly and probably also spalted.  Don't wait for spring.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2016, 07:56:33 PM
That maple is curly.  It could have some spectacular and valuable lumber.
Curly maple ...nice.  But the condition of the tree indicates it's time may have passed.  It's definitely hollow from the look of the pictures, and the question would be how much is hollow, how much is rotten, and how much is good.

I'd probably do an exploratory bore cut or two like Peter says and see how much sound wood there is. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

An exploratory bore cut is going to weaken it making it a hazard in the future.  That's why I said get it on the ground and determine.  That way if on the ground it is safe for people, and do while you can control the drop and not crush something you don't want crushed.

Larry

If that tree belonged to me I would be out there tonight cutting it down.  You see the hole up near the top of the tree?  That hole fills with rain water and the log starts to spalt from the inside out.  As the hole gets deeper in the tree the spalt improves.  Normally spalt occurs from the outside in and is not near as pretty.  Your tree also shows sign of curl and it doesn't get any better than that.

After you get the tree down you will have decisions to make.  Its doubtful if you can get good spalt all through a 8' piece.  Short pieces may be the best plan or even turning blanks for bowls. 

A similar maple that made a bunch of bowl blanks and short boards which I later resawed into veneer. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Felling a rotten tree also has it's dangers.  I would be inclined to place a 2" ratchet strap above the "stump" height just in case it decides to splinter upward and do a rotten barberchair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Thank you all for the response and suggestions. My mill is put away for the winter and won't come out till March so I can't saw that tree into lumber now. I don't know if it would be better to cut the tree down now and hold it till March, or wait till the ground firms up in the spring to cut it.
I like the idea of doing a bore cut to see how much wood is still good. I might just do that.

Magic, I know there is danger in cutting down dead trees. Thanks for the concern. That is a good suggestion about strapping the tree above the stump.

Danny, I think you are right. If there is any sound wood in that tree it could be really nice looking and valuable.

Larry, I hadn't thought about spalt but I guess that is a possibility. If my tree looked as good as your pictures I'd be very happy.

Thanks everybody,  Cutter

thecfarm

I would suppose with that piece sticking off to the side like that,thats the way it has to fall?
Looking forward to seeing that into a fine looking piece of furniture. With my luck we would have a wet spring,than a wet summer,and I would have hard time getting to it.  :(
When that starts to fall,get away from it. I hope it don't break up much when it hits the ground. That will mean the wood is still solid.  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Quote from: thecfarm on December 18, 2016, 09:17:33 AM
I would suppose with that piece sticking off to the side like that,thats the way it has to fall?
Looking forward to seeing that into a fine looking piece of furniture. With my luck we would have a wet spring,than a wet summer,and I would have hard time getting to it.  :(
When that starts to fall,get away from it. I hope it don't break up much when it hits the ground. That will mean the wood is still solid.  8)
Yes, that is the way it is going to fall. (I think) The top of the tree is leaning against that other tree, so I'll have to cut that other one down first.
Don't worry, I'll run when the tree starts to fall. :D

thecfarm

That other tree MIGHT be holding up that dead tree. I suppose you know that.  ;) I have cut alot of dead trees,I have a owb,just never know what will happen. Plan out an escape and clear it of any bushes and branches. No need to trip while escaping.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rwepinetree

my mill is open if you want to cut it now I am in Oakham Ma let me know

cutterboy

Quote from: rwepinetree on December 18, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
my mill is open if you want to cut it now I am in Oakham Ma let me know
WOW! Right next door! Thank you so much for the offer. Let me figure out my situation and get back to you. I'm not sure I can get my tractor to the tree right now. After the rain and snow stops and things freeze up again, I'll check it out.

Thanks again, Cutter

cutterboy

Quote from: thecfarm on December 18, 2016, 09:45:36 AM
That other tree MIGHT be holding up that dead tree.
That is a possibility but I don't think so. However, the dead tree might shift some when the other tree is cut and change the direction of the fall. Don't worry, my exit route will be planned and clear. I've been cutting down trees long enough to know that even good looking live trees can surprise you.

bandmiller2

Cutter, I would cut it now wile the ground is firm for your tractor. You have probably a 50/50 chance its got good wood. Cut it and if it looks good put it under cover off the floor for spring cutting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

qbilder

That tree will give you some amazing lumber if it's solid. I'd get it down & check it, and if any good get it milled up. Good luck & show pics if you mill it!
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!