iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM drivers...have you ever "bent" the drive track?

Started by MotorSeven, October 02, 2009, 09:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

It's an LT15
I have noticed a "bobble" 3/4 of the way down the track. The mill would dip to the outboard side & I could feel more resistance on while cranking/pushing. I looked over everything, checked level, couldn't see what was causing it. Today I marked the track on the drive side when the bobble occured, then when it seemed to level back out. Got the tape measure out, and found that the drive rail was bent "in" towards the mill by 1/8" & the error was over 2' long. Looking at the rail, I could actually see the bend.
The only thing I can think of is that 28' log. It was less that 20", but I must have let it roll onto the drive rail when loading it.
A cheater bar and a pipe wrench fixed it, but I did pop a couple of my upper welds. I guess I need to be more carefull with those BIG logs.......... :-X

Anyone else done this?  Or....am I special?

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

TimJr

I also have an LT15. I have only sawn for about 3 months now, but have put the mill to the test. I haven't bent anything yet. I have managed to put a good mark on the outside dog! Did I mention that I did that on the first cut of a new blade. Live and learn.
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

Chuck White

I noticed my mill would have that type of a dip once in a while, last year!
It turned out to be an easy fix.  There was dirt and grease build-up on the inside of the lower rail!
That was probably from years of over-greasing.  The grease would come out of the roller and collect dirt, dust, sawdust, and whatever else!
I just took a rag soaked with liquid wrench and wiped the rail down and the problem went away!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MotorSeven

I've hit the first & third stops.....always with a new blade :-X. Luckily, my neighbor has a setter/sharpener.
As far as the track rail, I must be talented to bend something on the opposite load side :D. I am wondering if I didn't catch it with the peavy while rolling that big log.....will have to watch that in the future.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Don K

Far as I know you have started a special club in which you are the Prez  and the only member.  :D

Don 
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!