iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever have these discussions with your customer?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 16, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

A little Chinese fellow had me saw some small Walnut. I told him I wasn't interested in sawing any more because it was firewood size and I couldn't make production. He finally agreed to my price. Then he started talking about they were figuring 7/8 dried thickness. Wanted to pay 7/8 scale. I declined to saw any more. As it sets I have about 20k of the small stuff on my lot to saw when it warms up a bit. My price and my scale.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter Drouin

I charge for clean lumber, no wane, You will find if you cut 2" off the side of a piece of lumber to get clean wood, The BF would be the same as if you cut off 2' of wood from the end of it. If that's what you're talking about????  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I do not scale wane lumber either.  It's always the customer's option.  Shorter and wide or longer and narrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

MM are you saying you cut all boards down so there's no wane, or that you give the waney board for free?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Well actually it was the correct answer.  I trim what will trim to a shorter/narrower size, but I also do not mind giving the customer a "cull" pile with wane.  Sure there is usable and also scalable lumber there, but I am not about to spend my time chasing a dime's worth of lumber.

Often the customer will ask about not including the culls and I will tell him that that (Tom) is my tip.  When he includes a nice tip to me, I say Thank You.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!