iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 xp vs. 562xp for felling day to day

Started by Wallee, December 02, 2015, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49er

Holmen, does the carburetor on the 272-268 series bolt to a plastic block or does it have a rubber manifold?

I would love to have a 372 with an outboard clutch. To me that would be the perfect saw. IMO.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on December 08, 2015, 11:02:24 AM
Holmen, does the carburetor on the 272-268 series bolt to a plastic block or does it have a rubber manifold?

I would love to have a 372 with an outboard clutch. To me that would be the perfect saw. IMO.
No rubber manifold on the 268/272.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 07, 2015, 11:51:04 PM
The 272 XP in my opinion is a better design then the bulky with poor ergonomics 372XP. Only difference is the 372 has better anti vibe,   air injection keeping the air filter clean longer and a better top end from mid range to WOT (this is the early 372XP BTW)

But back to the ergonomics and compactness of the 272 XP here's a pic comparing my 272 and 562 XP'S

AND here is why there are different companies and saw models. :) I have a few 272 based saws...some stihl based saws...some 372 based saws..a 555 and now a tweaked 562. But when I go do work up on the hill...its the 372 builds that come for the ride unless there is a specific mission or reason for one of the others. That's my opinion. And its what I do. Hoping the tweaked 562 bumps the 372 builds out of the pocket...I'll let you know next year.

One of the lessons of many years travelling over seas in a sales / marketing role at one point in my life is there are no shortage of smart people.... derivative of that is given the same parameters its about impossible to predict the conclusions those "smart" folks will innovate into, and a derivative of that is simply there are many ways to skin a cat!

(love spike60's 2 to 1 comment. He routinely gets folks to convert chainsaw religions! You question that?? What happened to the multi cultural(brand) chainsaw community down in spike 60 land? I might as well accept the inevitable :) )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Blah blah blah  :D
Take a tape measure,  carefully measure the width, length, height,  center of crankcase distance to guide bar of both the 272 and 372. Make notes to compare the differences.
Even weigh both powerheads.
Now if your a smart man ....you may just understand a bit more about ergonomics and compactness of one saw that was replaced by another.

49er

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 10, 2015, 01:33:15 PM
Take a tape measure,  carefully measure the width, length, height,  center of crankcase distance to guide bar of both the 272 and 372. Make notes to compare the differences.
Now if your a smart man ....you may just understand a bit more about ergonomics and compactness of one saw that was replaced by another.
Da, I just like saws with an in board clutch do I have to do all that measuring and notes and stuff? :-\
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

No you don't have to 49er.  I was only replying to someone else's post :)

weimedog

Blah blah??? Lol that's the problem with your line of logic. You can measure and calculate till your blue in the face but your numbers and theory cant tell me what I prefer to use. Ill choose my 372's over my old 272 every time. I DID run both for a while and made a choice
And the 372 fits better for me..  regardless of your measurements. ..so obviously your ergo measurements are off or more likely your premise.. :)  Reminds me of the arguments about  chassis geometry and handling..
Those Husqvarna engineer's were pretty certain they knew what was best.. :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

:) ...and like I said. This is why there are different brands and models each with their definition of win.

SawTroll

Quote from: 49er on December 10, 2015, 03:21:46 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 10, 2015, 01:33:15 PM
Da, I just like saws with an in board clutch do I have to do all that measuring and notes and stuff? :-\

Outboard clutch saws mostly handle better than inboard clutch ones it isn't really more complicated than that!
Information collector.

weimedog

What is the definition of "handle better"? Because the location of an outboard clutch is further from the center of gravity. Or is it about trying to offset the rotational mass of the flywheel? Couldn't balance be achieved by having a little less flywheel mass, a little more clutch size/mass and have both closer to center of gravity(mass) therefore making it easier to rotate/move? Listening to the discussions over the years, it seems handling is a subjective concept.

Also the "handling" is just one part of the saws characteristics. Ease of maintenance is another. And throttle response another.. power yet another, even color and aesthetics has impact. The entire set of characteristics leaves the impression over time that makes a user decide to prefer one over another saw concept. I'll take a little "hit" in theoretical handling to get the ease of maintenance gained with an inboard clutch when changing bar & chains. Especially when I happen to prefer the way that inboard saw handles and/or feels relative to some other persons theoretically more correct option... case and point.... 372 inboard clutch vs. those clunky little 272's with an out board clutch. ::)

HolmenTree

There you go again blahing away, over thinking yourself  and not getting to any kind of point .
Only point that the little C-clip is so much easier to remove.  :)

If I remember correctly the b/c on the 272 was almost a inch closer to powerhead center then the 372. That's  a big difference in a small area width of the powerhead, bringing the weight and track of the b/c closer to center of powerhead balance thus making better ergonomics . Allows a narrower top handle, better hand positioning with better accuracy and less fatigue.
Proven by some of the best handling felling, limbing and bucking outboard clutch saws out there like the 242 346 550 562XP.
Stihl did their inboard clutch saws right as I measured up a 024 ,034 and 044 I own . They built these saws with b/c almost as close to center as the Outboard Huskies.
The 034 was a fantastic handling pulp cutting saw from my experience. If I could post my  "6 point limbing technique " VCR video by Soren Ericsson limbing with a 034 I would.

Anyways just further explaining my earlier 272-372 comparison comment.

HolmenTree

Here it is, Soren explains superior saw handling balance with the 6 point limbing technique.
Interesting note, after Soren made these training videos in the mid 80's  with Stihl he changed  over to Husqvarna .

http://youtu.be/xX9Xj0faq3g

snowshoveler

Awe...those inboard clutches are just for folks that can't file a chain so they have to replace it every time it gets dull.
Just kidding folks.
Myself I don't care which way the clutch is mounted as long as the saw works for the job your doing.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

weimedog

yep.... I had all that type of stuff before... why Husqvarna's handled better than Maico's, then why Honda's vs. Suzuki's etc. Buy "spokes people" for what ever brand they were trying to hawk.

Limbing is a very small part of what I do here. And the chances of me limbing like that is exactly zero. Totally irreverent. Especially with the big old maple tree's I deal with. So using limbing priorities to pick a felling saw is ..... stupid?

And if his input favored out board clutches... Why do the stihl's  like 046/460/064/660 have inboard clutches? Guess their conclusion was based on the totality of input, maybe even this guy did have input; was that it was a better product design for their intended use...felling.. what this thread was about..with....in board clutches... :) A fact collaborated by Husqvarna's answer to the Stihl's was....the Inboard Clutch 372 series replacing the Old Out Board Clutch 272's... :) Guess he did bring something to that design table.:)

And to his point about the "flat side" inboard clutches put the sprocket & therefor b&c closer to the side of the saw. Maybe he too argued for inboard clutches?  So what are you trying to argue? Specifics of saw design? Or only you have access to relevant data to the discussion.

All I can say its a good thing you don't argue for the underpants manufacturers! Imagine all the soprano's there would be!

One size doesn't fit all. And yes.. even you can learn things as well. I know I can, and I learned a lot from you. I know its hard...but not everyone see's the world through your eyes.

Still stickin with my 372's...forget all the tape measurements, over analysis, and the rest of that "blah blah" crap. I ran them both. I like the 372 series better. A decision made from raw experience rather than theory.

(Great video BTW...everyone can learn things from folks like Soren and .. yes Willard (HolmanTree) ., A very experienced and knowledgeable person. )
(And yet again...on those Stihl's what type of clutch arraignment do they have? In board or out board? Obviously successful in their saw endeavors..as was the 372 class of Husqvarna saws with.. inboard clutches. End of discussion. )

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 11, 2015, 10:53:46 AM

Proven by some of the best handling felling, limbing and bucking outboard clutch saws out there like the 242 346 550 562XP.

Stihl did their inboard clutch saws right as I measured up a 024 ,034 and 044 I own . They built these saws with b/c almost as close to center as the Outboard Huskies.
The 034 was a fantastic handling pulp cutting saw from my experience. If I could post my  "6 point limbing technique " VCR video by Soren Ericsson limbing with a 034 I would.
End of discussion  :D
you didn't read this I posted 4 posts ago

I was only on comparing the 272-372.

weimedog

Yeah I did. The CYA clause. :) You challenged the 372 vs. 272 and the inboard vs. out board concepts. I responded. :) 

Still Sticking to my 372's over 272's. Had my 555 for a few years...have a tweaked 562 now that will be the basis of my 372 vs. 562 opinion over time. (yes...opinion)

And to this point in time...having the option of all those saws to work with.  Still picking my 372's first (Just dawned on me that neither of my 372 based works saws are the X-torq's BTW) .. all the Blah Blah & tape measure theory didn't impact how those saws work one bit. :)

Too bad you are across the country in Pine Tree land. It would be a great video to sit around a fire with a few beers and have this discussion.

Have to concede that Spike60's experience is that his pro's are buying 562's two to one over the 372XT's. Have to wonder if the larger size of the 372 "x-torque" vs. pure 372 and difference characteristics due to the x-torq design are a factor along with the less vibration and lower fuel usage of the 562's vs. clutch design though. :) The guys  I work with love the 562 because its smoother and they take that characteristic over power as the 562's cut fast enough. Their opinion.

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on December 11, 2015, 01:12:46 PM
Have to concede that Spike60's experience is that his pro's are buying 562's two to one over the 372's. Have to wonder if the larger size of the 372 "x-torque" vs. pure 372 and difference characteristics due to the x-torq design are a factor along with the less vibration and lower fuel usage of the 562's vs. clutch design though. :) The guys  I work with love the 562 because its smoother and they take that characteristic over power as the 562's cut fast enough. Their opinion.
The reviews of the 372XTorq  over the loved 372XP  are legitimate,  but EPA has to make the law.
Now that AutoTune is no longer the new kid on the block it's now being accepted.
A pro walks into a Husqvarna dealership and the choice in the 2 classes is 562 or 372XTorq  and throw in a 576.
The 562 with Rev boost, easy to handle and lightness
wins most pros over.  Yes it has an outboard clutch and still in 2015 that's what the engineers decided what's best for this saw.
The 562 has enough trouble staying cool for proper AutoTune function.....putting a heat producing clutch and drum inside the saw will only make things worse.

Also b/c center of gravity, next time carefully observe the b/c position when you hold your 562 and 372

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 11, 2015, 01:55:42 PM
The 562 has enough trouble staying cool for proper AutoTune function.....putting a heat producing clutch and drum inside the saw will only make things worse.

Also b/c center of gravity, next time carefully observe the b/c position when you hold your 562 and 372

I can only hope someday they will build the "Autotune" concept ( and Stihl's copy ) with already established technologies to allow tuning of both ignition advance and mixtures relative to feedback from sensor data, maybe the heat issue could be alleviated. But as you pointed out its about the EPA vs. efficiency.

Also the drive for "compact" designs tends to push all the heat generating components together..your a Yamaha fan... remember the issues with the first reverse head designs?

LOL...can't help myself...rather than dangling the two saws and trying to compare...I just work them and decided what I rather work with. AND how does that dangle concept work wen using different bar sizes and brands? Sugi's vs. Oregon/Husqvarna anchors? :) Those lighter bars offset from the center of the saw have to effect center of gravity therefore feel.....but that's again getting into Blah.. Blah...just run the suckers! Then pick. That's my approach. All in fun and with respect I hope you know.

Like I said... a great discussion concept over beer.

49er

My logger buddy wants to look at my 24 inch Total "Light & Tuff" bar for his 562. I just bought it and he may take it Sunday to go on his 562.
I think the 562 with a muffler mod must get adequate cooling on his would have melted down by now. Three years of hard living.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on December 11, 2015, 02:02:44 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 11, 2015, 01:55:42 PM

LOL...can't help myself...rather than dangling the two saws and trying to compare...I just work them and decided what I rather work with. AND how does that dangle concept work wen using different bar sizes and brands? Sugi's vs. Oregon/Husqvarna anchors? :) Those lighter bars offset from the center of the saw have to effect center of gravity therefore feel.....but that's again getting into Blah.. Blah...just run the suckers! Then pick. That's my approach. All in fun and with respect I hope you know.
Yes all in fun ;)
I'm not clear if you ever made a living with a saw or how much sawing you have done. But when you understand when its easy to get swayed by high h.p. of a spongy AV mounted 372XP , refinements in handling and ergonomics of a 562 are easy to overlook.
Of note of interest the 272 total length from front of crankcase to end of rear handle is 16".
The 372 is 17", the 562 total length is a whopping 17 1/2".
Now why is the 562 so long? Well the factory rates the 562 to take a 28" b/c, so a little extra leverage is good, even though it's more compact then the other dimensions of the 372.

Better center of gravity b/c position is not only a "weight bearing" effect but more importantly a more effective "gun sight effect" when making your cuts.......

Yes even cutting cookies proves that as this video proves for accuracy with my outboard clutch 562.
In the future I hope to add a video of my 272 cutting cookies after modified being stroked, cylinder work and running alcohol on a pipe.
http://youtu.be/ROLWSJWyJwQ

weimedog

:snowball:As far as saw time and experience it started pre teen with firewood. As a teenager it was spending time earning money to pith away on racing cutting pulp wood with a poulan with a bow blade...then when I had my excavation / general dirt works it was about clear cutting. Now maintaining a couple hundred acres on my farm mixed with logging , trail maintenance, road side clearing etc. Always firewood in the back ground ....sometimes running them dayly for months at a time.. so yeah. I know how to pull start one and they are an ever growing part of my income.

But the one thing I've learned be it buying race bikes...chainsaw..or excavators. That is to listen to a guy like you for an overview and part of the research process. And you bring a tremendous amout of knowledge to these boards. But use your own descision making process when it comes to buying. Because no one knows your world enough to make those descisions. And after all the bs sent my 372 still cuts and works as good as it did before reading all your analysis & specs. And yet again...because I can...I respectfully hear you..but made my descision relative to 272's and will do the same with 562's. Right now..blah blah aside. I prefer my 372's

And to the observant ones.. notice I just relay my experience and opinions vs try to tell anyone whats best for them on a place like this; how could one possibly know. That's a line I'm not going to cross. Regardless of the marketing bling I might have at my disposal.

And like I have said..this is why there are different brands and models.  Ill choose mine  thru using them and then deciding what I like on one vs. Another...always with an ear for new information. Humble enough to accept opinions .. But independent enough to trust in my own descisions in life ;) obviously I'm not the only one or there would be only one saw brand.

hamish

The 272 was a great saw, 20 years ago.  The 372XT has a false following as most real world users think its just a good ole 372, but it isn't.  The 372XT high top just kills sales for it in the east, but the 365XT picks it up, likewise the 562. 

Once you get the 562 in to an operators hands and in use they wont want a 372 again, perhaps a 390 but not a 372.

And yes 77dl of .325 and a 9 pin rim are sweet on a 562!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

weimedog

Think ur right with the xt's I'm afraid. All mine r either pre xt and one Jonsered xt variant. I support two outfits that have xt's mixed with 390's and 562's. Time will tell.  The others I deal with run stihl 660's,  Husqvarna 385/390xp's and one we don't talk much about 576's. 562's had a rough start here. Predominantly Stihl country here...for now.

snowshoveler

272...ugh...my shoulders are crying just thinking of that vibration.
That is what plays you out early in the day.
The weight is 1 thing but what most folks don't quite understand is the antivibe is there for a reason.
The 272 was a good girl in her day but that dance is over.
My 372xpg and my 394 are not much more than ornaments now.
I grab a perky 550 for just about everything.
No I don't work in the woods anymore, but I am a saw wrench for a busy little shop.
So I am supposed to know my way around a saw and understand the benefits of different models.
Many of the points you guys bring up really don't matter to better than 90 % of the customers.
Inboard clutches tech lite bars auto tune center of mass bla bla bla.
Its all about the marketing of the mass merchants.
Your Husky 3120s and Stihl 880s are dead.
We will not see their kind again in our lifetime.
I am sorry to bust the bubble.
Ima gonna have a beer now and read about sawmills.
You guys behave...no throwing chainsaws across the forum.
Best regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

49er

Snowshoveler, what bar and chain do you prefer on that 550? Is it stock?
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Thank You Sponsors!