iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange things seen...

Started by sprucebunny, July 14, 2007, 06:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Quote from: olyman on August 09, 2007, 06:34:28 PM
here in iowa--there have been numerous bobcat sightings--but the game and fish deny it--suppose if someones killed-and maybe partially ate--like in commefornia--theyll pay attention???? too many highly edumacated people in some poistions---

Not likely a bobcat will ever kill a person. Doubt if its ever happened anywhere, at least in recorded history. Bobcats are a whole different animal then a cougar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Lots of people have spoken of predicting the winter's severity by the stripes on a wooley bear caterpillar. This one should cause some head scratching.

And then this one showed up ...

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

When confronted with perplexing signs of nature, just give the blanket forecast. Possibility of snow every day with an occasional thaw with 1-3 days rain each in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April. Temperature ranges from -30 F to + 50 until further notice.  ;D

:D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

badpenny

SwampDonkey, you shouldabeen   A weatherguesser, That is by far the most accurate fore cast I have ever heard, honest too.
  When I was a young'n, the forecast at 5 pm was 10% chance of widely scattered snow showers on a December evening. The weather guy at 10 pm said a man from International Falls had called in to say the scattered snow showers were 10" deep, still coming down, and were being driven by a 40 mph wind
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Furby

If I remember right Joan, the black band at the head is the length of fall weather in your area.
The black band at the tail is the length of spring.
The brown one in between is the length of winter. :o

PineNut

The standard 7-day weather forecast is the next 5 days are the same that you have right now and the following two days are the weather you would like to have.

Roxie

Quote from: Roxie on July 16, 2007, 09:30:03 AM
September 16, 2000.....Sitting in my breakfast room, looking out at the field behind the house, as dusk was just about to begin, I saw what I thought at first was a very large dog.  It was walking along the deer trail and as I watched it I couldn't help thinking it couldn't be a dog because I've never seen a dog move the way this critter was moving.  I grabbed my binoculars and raised them up...looked...lowered the binoculars...raised them again...and couldn't believe my eyes.  It was a cougar.  A big cougar.  I remember being surprised at how much silver color it had.  I called a friend that works at the State Police Barracks, and they were very interested that I'd seen the cougar.  They asked me to call the Game Commission and report the finding.  They told me that I might be given a hard time, but to please do it anyway.  So, I called the Game Commission.  The gentleman informed me that I hadn't seen a cougar.  I said, "Yes, I did."  He said, "Lady, you did not see a cougar."  I said, "Ok, then I'd like to report a cat the size of a German Sheperd in my backyard."   :D

Check out this newspaper article from Lancaster, Pennsylvania!! 

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/228537

That cougar that I didn't see, attacked an Amish man.  The game commission still cannot confirm that there are cougar's in our State.  (((insert hideous scream here))
Say when

pigman

A quote from paper "Although there are many reported sightings each year, the game commission maintains that mountain lions do not live in Pennsylvania."  Mabe the mountain lions are just passing through and have not registered to vote. ::)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Roxie  (enough o that scream now  ;D )
Guess they oughta be believen you now.  8)

Is the cougar victim in trouble for shooting the cougar?
If in WI, I think he would be..as there is not a season on them.

We were close to having a season on our wolf population, but some individual Federal judge was able to squash that educated, scientific decision in one quick move of his ball point pen. Now the warning is out to keep the pets on a leash, if you go for a walk in the northern forest. Wolves gotta eat.  :) :)

(and pigman, maybe the cougars have registered to vote..I see Ohio had a cat that was found to be registered for the last 10 years or so  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

Nah, the Nittany Lion is way farther west.   :D

Beenthere, the Amish fellow isn't in any kind of trouble for shooting the cougar, because the Game Commission doesn't believe there are any in the State. 
Say when

sawguy21

Apparently a cougar was recently spotted in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (yes Virginia, that is English ;)), far east of their normal range. They are obviously following game along the river valley from it's source in the Rocky Mountains.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Splinter

20 years ago saw a pair of young mountain lions in stark nh. Never forget that. still had their spots.
saw a hawk take out a pigeon in mid air last year, big ball o feathers.

Took the family to a beach in cape cod early one day, as it filled up, kinda noticed I was the only guy there. I was a hot day, apparently too hot for the women to keep their bathing suits on. Mirrored sunglasses kept me out of trouble with my wife.

sorry no pics ;)

Radar67

I once saw an owl pluck a young black squirrel off the side of a tree. It was early one morning and I had my sights on that squirrel when the owl got him.  :o
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Seen a goshawk take grouse and a second grouse sitting by never even flew until I scared it. The hawk wasn't gonna leave his meal, he flew with his kill into a poplar.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

Does anyone here watch monsterquest on discovery channel?  Thats a good show most times.  Roxie, I hear the PA game commission is denying cougars because of something to do with insurance claims on high value livestock.  I don't know how that stuff works, just what I heard.

thedeeredude

timberfaller390

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on July 15, 2007, 10:25:19 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 15, 2007, 09:06:31 PM
I'm still looking for the eastern cougar.  ;D ;)

Just ask any ol' farmer down around here.  Any one of 'em will swear that they've seen a Florida panther at some point in their lives.  I'd be less surprised to find bigfoot in my backyard than a cougar.
Say all you want about us not having panthers in North Georgia, but my cat-killed brood mare will argue the point or the trail cam pics in Dalton, Ga. or the fact that Charlie Smith up in Big Firey Gizzerd Cove, TN. used to raise hogs every year just to feed to his "resident " cat.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

Bigfoot doesn't scare me...but I am terrified that my ex-girlfriend will show up...

Messin' with Sasquatch..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!