iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL ELECTRIC START RETROFIT

Started by edwin dirnbeck, November 18, 2017, 01:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massmanute

Hi Edwin,

Did you make any progress with your electric start idea? I have a Stihl MS660. It's not too hard to start from a cold start, but if it is warm (after running a while) is almost impossible to re-start. Thirty pulls or more and not a single sign of starting.

gspren

Quote from: massmanute on October 18, 2018, 06:57:03 PM
Hi Edwin,

Did you make any progress with your electric start idea? I have a Stihl MS660. It's not too hard to start from a cold start, but if it is warm (after running a while) is almost impossible to re-start. Thirty pulls or more and not a single sign of starting.
I believe you need to start a new thread on what to check/fix on your 660.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

bushie33

I for one need electric start system due to poor shoulders and arms. it does not stop me from using my tools, I just can't get them started to do so. One thing some of your may be over looking. I have looked into some homemade ideas. Most of them have an attachment to the shaft with portable motor/drill/or what ever, not adding to the weight of the tool. The comment about if you have your truck right there, no truck my Four wheeler sure is and it has a battery. The snowblower idea I did with my 8000 watt generator, I got tried of replace that weak battery that came with it. now my 4 wheeler or riding lawn starts it up in a heart beat. I for one look forward to a conversion to electric start. 

btulloh

On a lawnmower you can just expose the nut that holds the recoil assembly on and use a drill motor with a socket.  I'm not sure how that play on a chainsaw.  My saws all start pretty well, hot or cold.  Priming after sitting for a while takes the most pulls for my saws.  As time goes by, I reckon I could warm up to doing some of that with a drill motor.
HM126

DelawhereJoe

Troy bilt has or has a jumpstart option on some of there stuff, they have a 120v starter, battery powered starter or drill adapter. I don't know if it could be modified for the stihl or not.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Hilltop366

If a starter was made to pull the cord it could start any saw.

sawguy21

Quote from: btulloh on November 07, 2018, 08:57:11 PM
On a lawnmower you can just expose the nut that holds the recoil assembly on and use a drill motor with a socket.  I'm not sure how that play on a chainsaw.  My saws all start pretty well, hot or cold.  Priming after sitting for a while takes the most pulls for my saws.  As time goes by, I reckon I could warm up to doing some of that with a drill motor.
The nut would come off, a chainsaw crank spins ccw unlike a lawnmower engine. I have seen that tried on 4 stroke engines, the end of the crank broke off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

The right way to do it is findout which flywheels have the same engagement dog size and shape and target whichever the broadest batch of homeowner saws that is.  Loggers quit when they cant start a saw anymore.  Its homeowner joe that buys a bunch of gadgets that never get used.  He/she has somewhere between a stihl 180 and ms250 and its hard starting because the fuel is old and its out of tune but they dont know it.  Thats your target market.   Id bet the ms230/250/270/290 have a matching sized starter but i dont have any of those here anymore to check for you.

No one is gonna love the idea of giving up their manual recoil for electric only.  So youll want your jumper to engage the back side of the hand starter and be sure it has a one way clutch or ejector so that it cant wreck the starter.  I suggest a removable jumper motor like how funny cars engage the blower pulley.  No one wants to lug an extra bulky/heavy low power saw.  They could buy a full electric saw now and do away with all starting issues.
Praise The Lord

Chop Shop

We have had crappy homeowner saws over the years that end up with broken starter recoil assemblies and we would just use a cordless drill to start them up.

I have an Echo weedeater engine in a 5 foot RC boat and we start it with a cordless drill because ripping on a pull stater could damage the boat.

I would bet that most folks here have the tools in their garage/shop already to start a saw with a cordless drill.

jemmy

First time I pulled my 090 starting chord I instantly thought to myself, "well theres gotta be a machine that can do this for me" and so my mind went wondering back to my childhood of go-cart starters. I feel like something along those lines would work for BIG chainsaws that are in mills, don't know what other real applications there are besides that, most saws nowadays seem to start 1-5 pulls. If you cant manage that, I don't know if you should be handling a chainsaw in the first place, it seems like a minimum requirement to operate something that dangerous. I'm a young buck, but the day I cant pull and start my saw (if its working appropriately) is the day I think I would put down my saw.  Btw my idea is for an automatic starter has got to be similar to mikes. In the go cart world the rich kids had auto starters for their gocarts. It was basically a 12v battery with a male adapter that slid into the motor. You could carry them around easily and I imagine start that little motor all weekend, never owned one myself, just figure 12v would supply a whole lot of starts on a single charge. Well I dont know how you could retro grade that idea to older stihls, but I know if you develop it for an 090, I will be your first customer. 
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Old Toad

Just pulled some muscles in the right arm starting the Husqvarna 455 . Then damaged them more starting the 15hp lawnmower, it kicked back breaking the rope. Dummie me did not check that the compression release had engaged.
Building a firewood processor and need a big chainsaw with long bar as the cutoff saw. Looking for something to start a 70-80cc chainsaw.
Saw a youboob vid of the ratcheting socket for counter clockwise starter rope side.
How about a hole on the clutch side side cover?

Guydreads

Might work I guess but you'd end up with more sawdust in your clutch itself, and most clutches don't have a standard bolt on the end, you need an adapter, and those don't come with 1/2 or 3/8 drive. THEN you still have the issue of the clutch flying off as you do it as it's clockwise same as the engine spins.

doc henderson

I tried a drill and socket on an old "wind the rope around type pulley" on a splitter about 30 years ago.  it pulled the drill from my hands.  have not done that again. :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

It needs an over running clutch to prevent broken wrists or a rap in the chops when the engine starts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

now you tell me.  30 years ago.  if it was easy, everyone would do it! :snowball: :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

I picture a small electric motor with some type of a female port on the saw side and male on the starter side powered by a Milwaukee M18 battery. Would definitely either need a clutch or an actual small starter so the gear retracts when the saw starts. I can picture this being very beneficial for a lot of ppl. One of the biggest benefits for me would be to get the old stubborn saws running again so I could tune them and get them working and not have to kill myself trying to get them to start.

Al_Smith

Going through this thread just a comment about using a drill motor on the flywheel nut with a ratchet socket adapter .Might sound like a good idea but it's not.
I tried that only once on a 95 cc gear drive saw that came over on the Mayflower   and spun the flywheel off .There it went orbiting my garage and just missed my wife's Cadillac .That could have been very bad .  ???

Thank You Sponsors!