iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic cylinder for lift on log arch?

Started by Kwill, December 16, 2017, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Im in the middle of my log arch build and got to thinking about the log lifting part. I have a manual crank winch that will work fine but while cleaning out a building the other day I ran across a couple cylinders that was on a corn planter I bought. The cylinders are pretty good size. I was wondering why couldn't a guy use one of them along with a cable and a couple of pulleys along with log tongs? I have remotes on my 8n tractor I will be pulling the arch with all the time. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

That would work... But the pull would not be very long.
If you have a manual crank winch you could put a little Honda engine on it.
It only takes around 3 hp.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Only bad thing with a engine is its another gas engine that will set for several months not being used.  The cylinder I have has a long extend on it. I will have to do some measuring to make sure it will lift far enough to get the log off the ground and up to the secure chains.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

If it will pull far enough, you are golden.  If not, mechanical advantaged can be used to increase the distance the cable travels at a reduced amount of force.  A lever is probably simplest.  Otherwise, something designed like a forklift mast would work.  Forklifts use chain and pulley to multiply the lift height of the cylinder while proportionally reducing the load capacity.  If you are using a hand winch, this will still work fine.

Depending on the cylinder, it is probably power up only.  (Probably the same with an 8N's hydraulics???)  Probably not a big deal, but something to think about in the design in case their isn't enough weight.  Guess worst case you could chain up to a stump and pull if it doesn't fully return.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Quote from: TKehl on December 16, 2017, 09:59:48 PM
If it will pull far enough, you are golden.  If not, mechanical advantaged can be used to increase the distance the cable travels at a reduced amount of force.  A lever is probably simplest.  Otherwise, something designed like a forklift mast would work.  Forklifts use chain and pulley to multiply the lift height of the cylinder while proportionally reducing the load capacity.  If you are using a hand winch, this will still work fine.

Depending on the cylinder, it is probably power up only.  (Probably the same with an 8N's hydraulics???)  Probably not a big deal, but something to think about in the design in case their isn't enough weight.  Guess worst case you could chain up to a stump and pull if it doesn't fully return.   ;)
its a double acting cylinder. power up and down. I have a front mount pump and have a set of remotes plumbed in on my 8n.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on December 16, 2017, 07:57:17 PM
Only bad thing with a engine is its another gas engine that will set for several months not being used.  The cylinder I have has a long extend on it. I will have to do some measuring to make sure it will lift far enough to get the log off the ground and up to the secure chains.

Some kind of engine needs to run the hydraulics.
So whatever your using to power the cylinder could also turn
a  hydraulic motor and that could power your winch.

Just another idea....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

If he has "remotes" on the tractor, they would be running the hydraulic cylinders!

Remotes are ports that are tapped into the tractors hydraulic system and they have external quick-disconnects that various pieces of equipment can be attached to!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

I think what Kbietz was saying, was that he could use a hydraulic motor on his winch, without having another engine to deal with, if the cylinders doesn't pan out.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 17, 2017, 09:42:40 AM
Quote from: Kwill on December 16, 2017, 07:57:17 PM

Some kind of engine needs to run the hydraulics.
So whatever your using to power the cylinder could also turn
a  hydraulic motor and that could power your winch.

Just another idea....
Yeah that is true. I'm going to give the cylinder idea a try and see how it goes.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

The reason I like the winch is to pull logs to the arch to be loaded.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wudman

Quote from: Kwill on December 16, 2017, 07:06:30 PM
Im in the middle of my log arch build and got to thinking about the log lifting part. I have a manual crank winch that will work fine but while cleaning out a building the other day I ran across a couple cylinders that was on a corn planter I bought. The cylinders are pretty good size. I was wondering why couldn't a guy use one of them along with a cable and a couple of pulleys along with log tongs? I have remotes on my 8n tractor I will be pulling the arch with all the time. Anyone have any ideas on this?
I built an "arch" to haul tree length logs for a cabin build.  I started with a 36" stroke cylinder.  I think it would work fine on a log arch to support one end.  In my application, I was picking the logs up completely off the ground and I didn't have enough travel in my cylinder to do it with one pull, so I had to tie off and get another grip.  I ended up switching to a 12,000 pound hydraulic winch.  You should have no problem on a smaller arch.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Crusarius

You could use the ram to "break/ bend" the frame. mount a set of log tongs on the frame have it drop in the center like an earth mover when the tongs are around the log you lift up. it should grab the log and lift. only bad thing is you would need to back over the log then could lift.

I would keep the winch to drag logs to the arch then use the ram to make the center lower to grab the log. If you do it right you would be able to lift and lower the rear of the log just by adjusting the position of the ram. May make is so you can load it right onto the mill bed.

Kwill

All of the logs I will be cutting I wont have to drag. I will be able to back the arch over and pick up. Don't really like dragging logs and getting them dirt. Rough on the saw chains and blades.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

Here's a pretty slick setup on a propane tank trailer.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Quote from: TKehl on December 20, 2017, 08:58:19 PM
Here's a pretty slick setup on a propane tank trailer.

Yea that gives you two times more pull...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!