iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bimetal blades

Started by Beavertooth, May 07, 2018, 11:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

For anyone who doesn't know if you buy 1 1/2" bimetal blades from wood Mizer they will actually be 1 5/8" which is a good thing but you will have to move rollers back to run them if you been running 1 1/2". I knew this when ordering them but everyone may not and this may have been posted before.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Percy

Thanks. I run the double hards but have wondered about those bi metals. What's your take on them? 

My experience with extended run times mean earlier breakage. Of course this is with the double hards. If the company information is accurate, I may consider them. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

mike_belben

Are there any bandsaw blades that can shrug off a nail strike and carry on?
Praise The Lord

Beavertooth

I was told by wood Mizer that they were getting a lot more flex life out of the bimetal verses the double hard but the guy did not say how many times more but he did tell me they were getting like 5 times the flex life out of the carbide blades verses the double hard. Both of them are made out of different material than the double hard. I got the info from Dough Hicks. He has been there a long time and seems to always know what's going on with things. I just got my bimetal blades and have not tried them yet. Have not had time to move my rollers back.

Bruno of NH

I just tried a cobalt band  
They say you can get more life out of them.
I have herd good things about the woodmizer carbied @ $140 each i would hit a nail on the first log.
So I haven't bit on one yet.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Quote from: mike_belben on May 08, 2018, 10:51:07 AM
Are there any bandsaw blades that can shrug off a nail strike and carry on?
All depends on the nail and the approach angle.  Hit two the other day with a double hard and it sawed the rest of the cut just fine, has a few teeth that are burred over but should sharpen up OK.  Now hit a ring shank or a screw and it's game over.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Beavertooth

Woodmizer also told me they had a guy saw a half inch off the tip of his chain turner and managed to make it to the end of the log with bimetal blade. That says a lot for it just in the fact that it was able to saw it off. So there are probably a few nails out there that would not destroy a bimetal. 

Thank You Sponsors!