iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hey raider bill!

Started by Dan_Shade, June 07, 2011, 08:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I was talking to an iron butt at work today, and he mentioned a "cannonball run" motorcycle thingy....

I did some digging on line and found a link to it:  http://www.hokaheychallenge.com/index.html

I'm tempted!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Last year they started in Key West and went to the arctic circle. It's a timed run with a winner. Not much time to stop and smell the roses. Sure does give you bragging rights though.
We should get the FF bike club or as Jeff named us the alternative transportation guys together..... oh wait we did that last year for the pig roast!.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Wow, that's very tempting.  Maybe next year...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

My problem with this ride and most others like it is the structure. I've never been good at structure. ;D When I ride if I like a place I will stay awhile if at all possible. I'll also deviate from my somewhat loosely planned routes just because. I never ride with big groups and really seldom with smaller ones as you can never get everyone on the same page. I guess I enjoy riding alone.
Throw in a few Ladies and 5-10 minutes pee stops become hour long ordeals and that's if you can get all the bladders lined up and in sync. What kind of restaurant/food, hotel, campground decisions becomes.... well you get the idea.
2-5 guys that have the same riding habits, reliable rides and some money can have a dang good time on a long road trip.
Then again if one guy is out of sync, a bike breaks or someone started out light in the wallet and always has his hand out then things can get a little sporty. ;)

Seeing this great country from a bike gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.  So far these are the states I've rode in. I hope to add this map next year.

We know some of the guys here ride who else? Any road trippers or Iron Butts?

trapper

Around town on my little 250 rebel. Got it this spring to replace my 1980 honda twinstar.  What I like about bikers is most wave when you meet on the road no matter what you or they are riding.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Mooseherder

I used to ride but had a few reasons to get rid of it.
My 1992 Fatboy had 27 thousand miles on it when I left it in Daytona on a trade.
Staying at a friend's house in Deland when his boss showed up with a 1959 Chevy Fleetside pickup.  It was two tone and gorgeous.  I pestered him over the course of the weekend to trade dog for dog.  The Truck was awesome until I needed something more practical and sold it when we bought the Dually.  The person I sold it to would have let me buy it back a couple years ago but it was bad timing.  Sure do miss the feel of the open road but still have the motorcycle endorsement when I decide to buy or rent one. :)

Dan_Shade

I rolled 8000 miles over on my bike today that I bought last June.  Still smiling from the purchase!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Reddog

Just got back from Colorado.
The Aprilia I bought last July 7th with 27k now has just over 40k.
Still trying to plan a Trans Labrador trip for Aug.

ibbob

Ya, Iron Butt Assn. Member #239.  Rode the Rally in '01.  Logged 11,211 miles in 11 days.  Haven't been anywhere fun for awhile but still ride a 3-500 miles a week for work. 

The Hokey Pokey is a bad joke IMO.  Billed as a race on public roads.  They gotta make sure a Harley wins so no modern bikes are allowed to enter.

If you're looking for reasons and places to ride, check out the AMA Grand Tours. 
Bob

customsawyer

I enjoy a good ride better than most but like Raider Bill I like to sniff a few roses from time to time. The biggest problem I have in finding someone to ride with is that I get up early and like to start early most I have tried to ride with don't want to start till about 10:00 or later. I will have had a great ride in by then.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dan_Shade

actually, you guys are onto something.  I've never been much for riding in groups.  I don't like riding with people I don't know.  Motorcycles can make people stupid.

Weekend_Sawyer

I love to ride but not 1,000 miles or more a day. I plan on 350 to 450 miles a day depending on roads. My longest day yet was 600 miles Portsmith Main to Maryland on a 78 superglide with a blown head gasket suckin oil.

My vacation for about the last 10 years has been a motorcycle ride to somewhere. This year it's Colorado again. I get to ride tha Appalachian and rockies in the same vacation!

I have put in for some days off around the pigroast. Hope I get them.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

I did 1300 from St Pete, Fl to Syracuse, NY in one blast. I was 20 some years younger. It took 28 hours. I don't remember most of Penn nor any of Southern NY going up. It was miserable, hit rain in MD. going north.  Coming back snow showers and cold till Northern VA.  On a 72 Shovelhead FL. took 2 days to come back. 5 days start to finish. Did I mention it was miserable.

Reddog

Depends on the area for me, some place nice with mountains or a view with trees 300 or less a day is fine. The plains states 800 a day is not enough to get me through that mess fast enough.  :o

sawguy21

One of my customers took part in an iron butt run from Blaine WA to Tijuana. They were given 36 hours, he made it in time. Not my idea of fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Quote from: Reddog on June 09, 2011, 06:59:53 PM
Depends on the area for me, some place nice with mountains or a view with trees 300 or less a day is fine. The plains states 800 a day is not enough to get me through that mess fast enough.  :o

Although I didn't want to say anything about riding through the plains states it sucks. I get on the highway and blast. Oklahoma east to west..... man what a bore. I can't bring myself to ride Kansas  or Nebraska.   

submarinesailor

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 10, 2011, 08:57:44 AM
I can't bring myself to ride Kansas  or Nebraska.   

Take my word for it, the drive for one end of Kansas on I70 to the other end is LONG.  Been there done that a few too many times.

Bruce

Mooseherder

The nicest ride I ever took was through the Blue Ridge mountains.
Coastal Maine and Bar Harbor was great also.

Raider Bill

RTs 10, 20 and 40 are not much better. No matter what it's going to get long, flat, and boring.
I enjoy the heck out of the Smokies.

Weekend_Sawyer

Last year some friends and I rode Skyline Drive to the Blueridge Parkway, hopped off and rode the Dragon and Cherahola, went north through through the smokies and up along the ohio river, cut across PA on 30, one of the best rides of my life!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Back in 72 I rode from Charleston SC to Pocatello ID on a BMW 750. 3 1/2 days on the road by myself. It rain the first day from just outside of Charleston to West Memphis, AR. Saturday got worse because I had to make it to Oklahoma City before the bike shop closed to get a new tire. Sunday I almost ran out of gas on an Indian reservation in New Mexico and finally collapsed at a gas station somewhere in Colorado. Monday I got to Pocatello, tracked down my wife at class @ ISU. I hadn't been able to get out there for almost a year and was really looking forward to our time together. Well, it seems the best part of the trip was over and it was all downhill from there...

customsawyer

Last year the wife and I rode out through southern TN. then to the ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas thorough the back roads of Kansas to Co. Wy.  then south to NM. and back. That was a pretty good ride. Then in the fall a friend and I rode to Sturgis and back. You might say I put a few miles on the bike last year.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR_Buck

Forty years ago I road Va Beach to the Phila suburbs every weekend.  Ah, the things a sailor did to chase women.  ;)     At times I sure miss having a bike.   Most recently I've been drooling over the Can-Am three wheeler.  Just need to figure out where to find $18K.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Raider Bill

I haven't heard anything bad about the Can-Am trike. See many on the roads. They look weird but the Owners love the ride.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 13, 2011, 06:08:56 PM
... Ah, the things a sailor did to chase women.  ;)...

You don't want to know...

We were rather young and crazy then.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!