iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL 041 AV

Started by Randall, June 02, 2006, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

I was given a Stihl 041 AV Super Electric and after replacing missing screws, the cutoff switch, new air filter, etc., I got it running but it seemed to stay choked with the chain spinning. I got an overly recopied manual from Stihl but was mostly unreadable and the spec. page was missing. Does anyone know about these saws? The bar is 27.75" total length and has square chain. I have not yet reset the idol screws. Also, the manual said don't use premium gas since it has bensol(sic?) which will destroy the carb. diaghram. The local Stihl dealer knew nothing about that.

StihlDoc

The initial fuel mixture adjustment screws on the carburetor should be 1 turn on the H screw and 1 turn on the L screw. The idle speed adjustment screw is the largest adjustment screw and should be set so the chain does not turn when the throttle is in the idle postion. These machines were famous for air leaks, especially between the intake manifold insulator block and the cylinder. The gaskets would come out of place over time. If the engine won't idle down, chances are these gaskets have deformed or come apart or there may be other air leaks that need to be fixed. The impulse hose, fuel hoses, and fuel filter are probably deteriorated on a machine this old unless they were recently replaced.  You can use 87 octane fuel or higher in this machine with no problem. The "bensol" you refer to in the manual is a poor generic translation referring to alcohol and other additives which back in the 1970's everyone was throwing unfounded rumors around about how it would ruin your engine. Ethanol in STIHL engines is okay at the 10% volume allowed by EPA.

Randall

Thanks for the info. StihlDoc. I adjusted the H & L screws to the manual specs. and turned out the idle screw as much as I dare. The chain still spins. Is there any other possibility before I tear into the seals? Also, the 041 indicates a 41cc engine? A 28" bar seems big. Would you think this saw is even worth the trouble?

Kevin

sawguy21

The 041 is 4 cu in. I think that is 65 cc. It is a workhorse but as was mentioned, intake air leaks were common. Another problem was chain oil leaking past the pump into the crankcase. Could be a bear to clear out. I always liked them but they are heavy for a daily use saw and parts are starting to get scarce.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

StihlDoc

Make sure the sprocket drum turns freely. If the clutch is okay (no broken spring, assembled properly, clutch bearing is lubed), then check for air leaks. Throttle shaft could be worn, impulse hose could be cracked, carb insulator gaskets may be leaking, crank seals, etc.

STIHL's model numbers do not have a direct correlation to the engine displacement. I don't have the spec's handy but the 041 Super is around 4.0 cubic inches. A 28" bar is a bit much. 20" would be a good combination. I would not put much money into this machine. It is not worth much and parts are becoming obsolete.

Tightlinez85

Hey guys! New to the page, but in a similar boat! My father gave me his old Stihl 041 that was in super rough shape, and after having my boss rebuild it replacing points/condenser, coil magneto, ignition switch, muffler, gaskets, carb, hoses, filters and some gaskets, and all the necessary 'tune-up' stuff, and me giving it a make-over with new 20" bar and fresh paint - it was alive! It sat for 30 years or so, and I finally got to use it last weekend and it ran as good as new and took care of a massive willow that blew down for the few hours I ran it. Having same issue with the chain going around (pretty fast, at that). I've been doing firewood with him for years so it's not a  a huge safety issue (for me) I just want to fix it! I did a lot of reading that the clutch assembly/shoes or the bearing are typically the culprit, but after reading this thread, I will try adjusting the idle, first hand before looking into clutch components. It isles fairly low, but the chain still goes around at a good clip. I known they're supposed to be around 2,800 rpm idle and clutch kicks in I believe around 3,300rpm or so. This saw will get buried with me (anything given to me like that, stays with me!), and the vibration I've heard lots talk about, didn't bother me at all even alternating between that and his 455 Rancher. I've done so much research to figure out what model it is to no avail! Local chainsaw centers and Stihl dealers here in NY had a hard time identifying, as well. It looks to me like a Farmboss - but, there is no emblem or plaque stating that. On the top cover, just says 'Stihl 041' built into the top/air filter cover. I was going to call the 1-800 number with the serial number to find out what year it was made and just the history of the saw (I believe the 1110 series was like 66-82?) but I can't even find that. Had the whole saw apart, cleaned/degreased then I repainted, and only found some numbers, but believe they're just oem stock part numbers. Only number I could seem to find anywhere was '91110-791-1901' with a sun looking circled 'K' a '1212' under that and an 'S' in a square next to that all located on the top left of the handlebar where it bolts up. I tried looking by the crankcase where the feller spikes are, but nothing. Don't know if they're just stamped in the metal body, or it's on like a little metal strip as I've seen both in various pictures of different '0' models. Couldn't figure out if it was just an 041, or an 041 farmboss for the life of me and been at it for a few months now! Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'll try to attach some pictures in this thread if I can, as well, or soon when I figure out how to and create my profile! Cheers, and already enjoying the first day of learning things after just a few quick threads! Thanks, Jimmy!

sawguy21

Welcome Jimmy! You don't want the chain moving at idle, that is a serious safety issue. The idle is set too high, the drum bearing is seized or a clutch spring is broken.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!