iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Leather Sawmill Apron

Started by Magicman, February 01, 2015, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

All of the pictures of me sawing show that I wear a leather waist apron while sawing.  For one thing, it keeps the sawdust out of my pockets plus it keeps the clothes washing lady happy.

Well my second apron was getting ragged and weary so it was time for a new one.  Note the chainsaw marks on the right side.  :-\

Waist aprons are hard to find so I got a bib apron and did some modifications.

I trimmed the bib off and modified a strap which will become the apron belt.

I folded the leather over the belt and riveted it into place.

And now I have a brand new leather sawmill apron.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

MikeZ

MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

4x4American

look at that its better than one you can buy at the store!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I keep the bib, Keeps the sawdust out of my private parts. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AnthonyW

I must need to saw more. I haven't found the need for the apron yet. I could use a pair of gaiters to keep the sawdust out of my boots and shoes. Not an issue in the spring and fall with long pants and boots, but with shorts and/or sneakers I think the mill pipes the sawdust directly into my socks. I'm going to try the 5 gallon bucket on the sawdust chute trick next year.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

WDH

It would also serve to keep the pitch off the front of your pants and the lower part of your shirt if sawing off-bearing old SYP. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

blade69001

I use old socks to keep the sawdust out of my boots. Just cut the toes out of them and slide them up the leg the pull them down over the tops of my boots. other wise I am always stopping to untie my boots and pull some piece out that is poking the bottom of my foot.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

4x4American

Good idea, Blade.  I just wear normal britches year round, gave up on shorts long ago.
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

MM,

My wife has me one nearly finished. She got some leather on her last trip to Charlotte NC to see our daughter and has it all finished except for a minor touch or two - a pocket I think. Mine is full length, buckles around the waist and neck strap just holds up top area. She gets started on all the projects then takes a while to finish the last items. She did finish me a heavy duty denim shirt with my sawmill log on it.

She has a big Bernina sewing machine that can sew leather and up to 8-10 layers of heavy denim I think. She also uses it on a big quilting frame and one of her mentees came over Saturday and quilted a new quilt she had made. Wife had cataract surgery this morning so may be out of commission for a while. I think I had seen something on the forum about yours and mentioned it to her is where she got the idea about the apron. Hope you get many happy years of use out of yours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

blade69001

So I get up from behind the desk to do one of my usual walk throughs of our shop and I see one of my guys that moved down from NY so he is wearing shorts and leaned up against one of the table saws picking sawdust out of his sock. I thought it was funny since it happened about 10 minutes after my last post on this thread.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

davidlarson

One of my patients, an elderly man, worried that his memory was failing a bit, saw me in my office.  He was wearing white athletic socks, and had written across the toe area the letters T G I F.  Innocently, I asked if it meant "Thank God it's Friday"?  "Nope," he said, "Toes go in first."

Ocklawahaboy

Superman has his cape, magic man has his apron and the goat has the bell around his neck.

Thank You Sponsors!