iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory beams?

Started by redbeard, September 10, 2015, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Customer brought over some hewed beam samples for me to saw, The story is that they were bought and shipped from Ohio, From a dismantled timber frame barn. I have not seen the long 8" x 12" hewed square beams yet. So I milled these and I expected more grain pattern. I have never milled hickory only have seen finished flooring, cabinets ect. Wanted to show you guys what I cut and see if you can tell me what this is. To me it sawed like a soft wood. I believe it to be pine but it dose have a musty fragrance. What do you all think?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

5quarter

Looks like slow grown pine to me. definitely not hickory.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fishfighter

I would say it's pine too!

kelLOGg

I saw a lot of pine here in the South and I also think that is what you have.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mapleman

Adding in my two cents, it looks a lot like some spruce I've milled.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

redbeard

Thanks for replys , Spruce and pine !    if I get the resaw job I will follow up with more pics. Iam now curious if there is more than one species in this old barn from Ohio.  Update! The customer is the contractor for the homeowner that purchased the beams. Apparently the beams were purchased as hewn beams only.  and so how the name hickory got in there Iam not sure ( interior decorator) most likely. They are now hewed  pine beams from Ohio.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

giant splinter

That will be a nice job and i bet there will be hardwood in the cabinetry and some of the joinery
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!