iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost a good fire this morn.

Started by Woodboogah, January 09, 2014, 01:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Went to start the machine this morning.  It wasn't to cold so  I didn't bother warming it up.  Did the usual get is press the button let off let the cylinders warm up usually takes about few presses of the button.  Anyways after the third press I could smell electrical burn and saw smoke coming from underneath the hood.  I jumped out with the extinguisher took the side coming off and the starter was smoking pretty good.  I got it cooled down and cleaned the grime off and a big piece of the plastic on the solenoid had come clean off.  I can only chalk it up to cold weather, cant see what else could cause it.  Tee cables were not pulling on it.  I don't think I over tightened the nut, it was back in November when I installed it.  Who knows, its covered under warranty.  Have a new on in the morn.  I was looking forward to a nice warm day of working.  Oh well split some fire wood for next winter.   
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

beenthere

QuoteDid the usual get is press the button let off let the cylinders warm up usually takes about few presses of the button.

Is this the starter button you are pressing? Hard to decipher that sentence.
For a moment I thought it was a glo-plug or manifold heater that you were pressing to warm things up before trying to start. But with the smoke, figured it must be the starter button.

Hope you get the new parts and are good to go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodboogah

Yes, starter button.  It is covered under warranty and should have it by 730am tomorrow. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Corley5

I had the forwarder starter rebuilt one time.  Spent a couple hundred bucks on it.  A couple weeks later I pulled up to the firewood machine with a load of wood and smelled wires burning.  The starter key switch hadn't returned and the starter had stayed on for TOO long.  It was toast.  Luckily I'd cleaned the belly pan when I'd had the starter off a couple weeks prior and there nothing for the burning dripping parts to set on fire.  That repair bill was bigger than the 1st and not including  the push button that got installed in place of the key switch.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Wellmud

I have an 8V-92 Detroit I do the same thing with in cold weather, crank it a little bit till smoke starts coming out the muffler, let off the button a few seconds and hit the starter again and it usually fires right off, only use ether if it gets really cold.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

timberlinetree

Was cranking a firewood truck that lost it's prime. Not shure if the wire got to hot but some sawdust/oil caught fire at the starter.fire extinguisher saved that truck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

diesel pap

you might want to clean all your connections. i think connections that are not getting good contact causes things like this.

Thank You Sponsors!