iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We can all learn safety features from these guys...????

Started by Slingshot, October 24, 2009, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

Saw this on youtube, quite interesting...

Dan_Shade

:-(  you busted me.

That kind of makes me cringe while watching.  No guards, sticking hands near the band, putting a belt on a pulley with the engine running, what else in there?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chico

There was nothing moving when he put the belts on the idler was locked up and the saw wasn't moving I don't see a prob with it  course that may be why they call me lefty ;D
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Dave Shepard

The pulley on the engine was moving, that's for sure. I like how he has a nice board pile to trip over as he walks alongside the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

submarinesailor

I wonder if he had the knee pads on because he falls down alot.  I can't stand anything under my feet while sawing.

Bruce

Slingshot

Looks like the guy in the blue shirt is standing right in line with the dust chute (which has been cut open with cutting
torch and fingers removed) as blade is engaged and later walks in front of chute as saw is cutting. And all trafffic is on business side of saw as other side looks to be close to wall.

Dan_Shade

Trip hazards are half the fun!  

when it's pretty cold out, I'll take a few flitches off the first few logs I saw, and put them on the ground to walk on.

i tend to keep a cant hook laying down near the walking path too.  

Sturdy foot wear, and keeping sure footed is how I do it!  I definately don't like loose stuff under my feet.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

red oaks lumber

and he vidieo taped himself why ? is he trying to get on disability via being mentally unstable
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Papa1stuff

Oops ,you mean that isn't the way to mill ,guess I need some lessons ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Brad_S.

Are we sure those guys aren't FF members? :D
If they are, they sure won't admit it now.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

beenthere

Not sure why we are looking down our noses at this guy (these guys). I can see some danger walking in front of the discharge chute (wonder who doesn't do that on occasion). I can see some danger from apparently working on the belt while still running.  ::) ::)  Other than that, seems he knows how to make it saw wood.  :)

If he likes sawing that way, I could care less.  :) :)  I suspect he is enjoying making lumber.

My two cents.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

beenthere,
is that you sawing wood? or maybe because it's orange it might be the secret training grounds for new woodmizer salesmen..  just kidding everyone lol
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

backwoods sawyer

I think the point is, that if we all take a video of are selves milling, that someone else can find fault with our methods. Kinda like the only thing that the two horse trainers can agree on is that the third one is doing it wrong. However, if we take a look at what they are doing here and then think about it while we are milling, we are more apt to be safe about doing the same steps. When it comes to safety, anyone on site, young or old, experienced or not, can call a halt to operations and discuss a safer way of doing something.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

backwoods sawyer
Good points. And what the FF is all about too.  8)

red oaks lbr
:D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slingshot

Just want to make mention that I didn't post the video link to ridicule those guys and don't know that
any one has taken it that way;  I saw the video and saw a couple things that concerned me after
reading another thread about broken blades shooting out the dust chute, and seeing a belt being put back
on a pulley with the engine running and the belt jumping up and down. A finger could have gotten caught
under the belt when it snapped back on and torn his hand up, or arm.
    But, then, I have done a few things myself that I have looked back on and wondered, why?  ::)  And then
realized how close I came to a serious accident.

Dan_Shade

I think a discussion of all the "wrong" things in that video is a very good thing.

I'll admit that I will do a few things that others won't do. I have a video of how to fold bands, that has gotten some negative comments, the way I do it is not the safest.  I also hate to wear gloves, and I don't, unless it's very cold out.  I get an annoying splinter sometimes.   I've also gouged my hands pretty bad while unfolding a band.   I know the risks, and I accept them.

That video annoys me.  The helper is in harms way.  I feel it is absolutely irresponsible to operate a bandsaw without the band shields in place.  I can give him a pass on the belt shields, but bands will break.  and I'd hate to be anywhere around a bandsaw without shields when a band breaks.

I'm sure they are enjoying themselves, but that enjoyment would be just as great if they were doing it safely.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caver

I'm a noob at this sawmill thingy but running in an enclosed area?
We had a sump pump running in a much larger area than what they are in at work.
We walked back there after a few minutes of the sump pump running to check our confined space with an air monitor that had just been calibrated. The alarm went of for bad air. Another department was in charge of pumping out the hole but we have a new plant policy on running gas powered pumps indoors.
Baker HD18

Bibbyman

This would make a good Halloween movie for sawyers. 

Well,  it looks like he's lived a long life. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

moonhill

And more critique, he seemed to take a while to get the saw set to the height of the cut and stalled in the middle for an adjustment and took even more time to raise the saw and return, get in there and get 'er done. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Ironwood

Caver,

That is first thing that came to my mind as well. I guess you pass out from CO2 then fall in front of the unguarded blade, and well there you go. Looks like natural selection to me (sorry), but yeah a few issues fer sure.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Brucer

Notice how the drive belt just popped right off. Anyone here have that happen?

Notice how he just went right in there and put it back on?

Is there a reason the belt/drive cover is off?

My guess is the belt isn't tensioned properly and rather than fix the problem, he's left things open so he can remount the belt quickly.

I have a competitor like that. Won't take the time to do proper maintenance, won't take the time to put the covers back on, won't take the time to adjust the mill, won't take the time to grease it. Too much time wasted doing those things when he could be sawing. He's been in the business 3 times longer than I have and he can't figure out how come I'm making money and he isn't.

This would make a good safety video for a new employee. "Here, watch this a few times and write down all the things he's doing wrong."
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sparks

What a nightmare. No covers, putting belts on while the engine is running, engaging the blade so slowly that the belts are probably howling, cut so slow that he blade flex life has to be horrible, multiple trip hazzards and people in the way of getting hurt................ This should be titled what not to do when sawing.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!