iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which model Stihl

Started by Norm, June 28, 2002, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I own a Stihl 036pro now and would like to get something bigger to rip the big logs with ( my wife will not let me play with explosives, what a kiljoy :) ) Is the 066 the best choice or would a different model work as well without being so heavy?

Bro. Noble

We have and of each of the models you mentioned.  We use the O36 for bucking and the two larger for felling and limbing.  When we first got the O66 the extra weight was really noticable but soon became used to it.  I still have trouble starting it even with the compression release.  I have to "drop start" it even though that's not the safest way.  If I don't, I flood it about half the time.  Just can't yank it hard enough.
     Unless I was going to use it an awful lot, I think I would go with the O44 or try the newer versions.  Isn't there an O46 and a 44magnum?
     We also have an O34 and prefer it to the O36.  It may just be ours, but I'm not impressed with the O36.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bro. Noble

I should have proof read that post.  I thought you had mentioned the O44.  We really like ours.  We also have an O9, now there's a saw.  It's my favorite of all and I can yank it real good.  We use it to trim the end of boards and slab bundles and sometimes even ties.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

woodman

I just trim to size  never rip  with my 29 but set it up to cut very fast(big chips and a lot of power)
Jim Cripanuk

KiwiCharlie

G'day Norm_F,

Ripping with a chainsaw, is really hard on the motor.  If your not going to be doing too much, the 066 would be fine, but if you want to do a lot, ie Alaskan milling, then you really should go for as much power as you can afford!  You wont regret it.  The 088 is a good choice, or even get an 090 out of Canada.  The need for power really does come above the desire for the lightest saw.
Cutting times are improved with the bigger saws too, and less time in the cut cant be bad!
Heres a photo of my 090 with a 42 inch bar - before it got all dirty!!

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Norm

Thanks for the reply Charlie, that is one heck of a nice saw. What we use ours for is mostly logging with, we do run into some big oaks that your saw would be fun to use on although I'm not sure if I could lift it let alone saw with it :D I only rip with mine to get them to fit on our bandsaw so it sounds like the 066 would be a nice saw for both jobs. I keep looking at the swing blade mills with slabber attachments but have yet to convince my wife that I need another new toy :)

Kevin

A 066 is a good combination felling/milling saw.
If you were constantly milling those big ugly logs a larger saw might be in order but I think a 066 will serve your purpose well without the extra weight.

Paul_H

Kevin,
Have you used 2 power heads on your mill,or see any in action?I priced a bar out for one at around $340 Cdn.Wonder if it's worth it?

Off topic What model is the Massey in the picture?I have an old MF35 that runs like a top
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Paul. I haven`t had the need for two power heads.
In fact I`m only using a 24" mill but I can pick and choose my logs.
What I usually do is run the mini mill down both sides of the log to remove the bark and that brings them down to where I can mill them with my Alaskan.
I can mill a 20" board usually 12' long which is plenty for me to handle.

The tractor belongs to the farmer that gave me that elm log but I can`t tell you off hand what model it is.
It`s red and has big tires on the back if that`s any help.  ;D

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

How do you like those GB bars?  I love em myself, and as they are made down this way, they dont cost an arm an' a leg!  Unlike anything imported from Germany or Sweden!
They do a 96 inch double ender, which is on my wish list......
Now theres an excuse for two powerheads if I saw one.
Come on the Lotto!
Cheers,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Charlie, I ordered that roller nose from Ralph because I couldn`t get a long bar here.
It seems like a decent bar, it had a nick in one of the rails from the factory so I might question their quality control then again it may have been one in a million.

Thank You Sponsors!