iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old barn into woodshop

Started by getoverit, January 07, 2006, 04:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

The concrete guy came this morning and poured a concrete floor in the old Hay Barn. Looks like I'm getting my woodworking woodshop after all. In a few days I can move all the saws and tools into the new woodshop and begin arrangeing everything. I found an old chicken house that is being torn down and bought 2" thick styrofoam panels that are 4' X 17', so I can insulate the walls and then put some sort of wood paneling on the inside of the place. next will be wiring for lights and power.

While I was out there, the Magnolia tree wanted it's picture took too  :D

If you look real close in the background of each of these pictures you will see my woodlot. About 33 acres of pine trees ranging in age from 10 to 15 years old. They are big enough for pulp now, but I want to let the grow and get some good lumber out of them.

I'll add to this thread as I get things added to the woodshop
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Brad_S.

They say a man's home is his castle, but I think it's really the wood shop that should take that honor. Nothing like having a well stocked, dedicated work shop for a nice mini vacation, and it looks like you'll have a NICE one!

Looking forward to more shots.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Flurida_BlackCreek

you really should get that tree a pair of sunglasses.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

DanG

The tree looks like you just told it the building is gonna be a wood shop. :o :o

Looks like you got it goin' on around there.  You better get it all done quick, 'cause you gonna run outta time in a couple of weeks! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

I would strongly suggest that you put down a floating floor on the cement to protect you legs and feet.   That is what we have done in both woodshops, here on the Farm
Frank Pender

bitternut

How come you have a coat on? I thought you were in Florida?   ;D  ;D  8)

Phorester

Yeah.... what Herb said.  And what's with insulating walls in Florida?

getoverit

I Live in the "hump" in the NE corner of Florida. I'm not far off of the ocean, and this time of year the temps in the 30's combined with 80% humidity and a stiff ocean breeze will chill you to the bone.

It really is just a denim jacket though, the rest is 100% all natural blubber  :D :D

My wife gave me the tree face for Christmas. I just couldnt resist putting it up in the old magnolia tree out front. It is actually sticking it's tongue out at ya, but that is kinda hard to see in the picture.

The barn is a 30 X 40, and has a 12 feet ceiling. Roughly, thats 1,200 sq feet for my new wood working shop. We quit bailing hay several years ago, and since then it has only been used for junk storage. With the new cement floor I can at least make some use out of it. The insulation is to keep the heat OUT, not to keep it in. Starting in Feb, it will warm up quickly and then will be so hot out there that you cant stand it. I'll probably have to air condition it just to be able to stand the heat out there.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

Congratulations on getting cement !  Nothing like having plenty of room and a high cieling . I was going ask where you park your boat now in the winter but I suppose you never have to take it out .  Well be careful and keep us posted how you layed everything out  . :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Teri

When I woke up this morning I had frost covering everything down here!! :o

Burlkraft

Did ya say those insulation panels came from a chicken house ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

On a hot day that may be interesting :o :o :o :o :o

Congrats on the new shop................... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I need a bigger shop ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

shopteacher

That will make a nice place to work. Never enough room though, especially if your like me and cart every piece of junk home your can lug.  My shop is so loaded right now I had to stop calling it a shop. I'm going to start the clean up right away though, well maybe tomorrow.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Phorester

"The insulation is to keep the heat OUT,"  Interesting.  Like selling refrigerators to the eskimos to keep their food from freezing.  ;D

getoverit

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on January 08, 2006, 01:50:46 AM
. I was going ask where you park your boat now in the winter but I suppose you never have to take it out .  :)

Actually, the boat is right behind the concrete truck in the first picture. I took it out of the water for a couple of months to do some more work on it. I added a hard top to it, built out of oak hardwood and then painted and fiberglassed, added a new GPS chart plotter, and now I have to fix a potential problem with the hydraulic steering linkage that is rusty. It will be back in the water by the end of the month. The kingfish will be running soon and I dont wanna miss them :)

I showed the tree face to my 3 year old nephew today. I told him the tree must like him because it was smiling at him. He just looked at it and said "Does it talk too?"   :D :D   Kids.....

Part_Timer

Ken

That sure is going to be one nice shop.  Is your kiln going in there also? 
By the time you make it a shop add a kiln, green lumber storage, finished lumber storage you may need to call that concrete truck back.  :D :D :D :D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

I actually have another barn with some "lean-to's" on the side of it that I am planning on stacking my lumber under. This should keep it out of the weather while it air drys and then should be enough room to build my kiln under also.  That barn has power in it already, so running power out there to the kiln shouldnt be a big deal.

My brother still has a lot of junk in the barn i'm turning into my shop, so now I have to figure out what to do with all HIS junk. I'm thinking a big blow out sale on E-Bay is coming real soon.

I talked to the local engineer from OREMC on Friday about getting 3 phase power out to the new barn. It is available and runs right along the road in front of the place, but he did everything he could to discourage me from putting it in. His advice was to go with phase converters on the 3-phase motors until my operation gets big enough to warrant the upgrade. It seems that the way they bill for 3-phase power is based on a "peak" for the month. what ever you peak at, they assume that you ran this much power 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. There is no meter on the line except for the peak indicator. You are then billed for the next 12 months of service based on this peak reading, whether you even used any power out there or not. Every month they come to look at the peak meter again, and if it increases over the last reading, then it sets a new standard for the following 12 months. The only way to get the costs to come down is to pay for 12 months of service at your peak rate, then ask for it to be reset and read again to establish a new peak reading. This can get costly in a hurry.

Getting power ran out to the barn in the first place will run around $3,000 and I will also have to get it inspected by the local yokel building inspector. Any time they inspect something, you can count on your property taxes going up exponentially. I think I will just rent a trenching machine, and run a 200 amp service off of the input to the house's power supply. I can run it all underground, which wont raise a flag about there being anything new out there, and what they dont know wont hurt them (or me). No inspections needed, and no raised property taxes.

Because of the new growth in the county, the permitting and inspection process runs about 3 months or better. If I chose to do things "by the book", it means it would take me about 3 months to even get a permit to put the power in.

Thank You Sponsors!