iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for the woodshop

Started by jdunmyer, May 12, 2004, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunmyer

Well, my buddy Bob and I fired up the OLD (emphasis on 'old') sawmill for the first time in probably 6 months. My wife had bought a bunch of walnut logs to make lumber for her woodworking projects and we picked up a few more walnut logs and some sycamore. Everything ran great, and we made a pile of lumber for her. Sure felt good to make some sawdust!

Pics of the sawmill are on my website, and I recently added pics of her woodshop. Bob and I worked all Winter on that project! The shop is complete, we have to work on the 24 X 7 planer and the old Oliver 16" jointer. That's been sitting in the barn for 10 or 12 years, waiting to be resurrected.

Enjoy the pics!!

http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer

<<Jim>>

Bibbyman

Thanks for the look-see!   :o

Lots of work puttin' all that togeather.  Even the web page work took some amount of time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

jdunmyer, I gotta get down there for a visit.  Hey! Tell me I didnt miss the west Branch engine show! Somebody today said I did. I was sure it was later then this. They will be having that 9 foot head rig running.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jdunmyer

Bibbyman,
 Thanks for the comments!

A web page like I put up doesn't require a lot of time, I spent less than 3 hours on the woodshop. Most of that was looking at the pics and making a list of what they were so I could write the description.

Jeff,
 You're surely welcome to visit anytime, we're just 2 1/2 miles south of the KOA at Exit 9 on US 23. Or, 15 minutes from Cabela's.  :D

Interesting observation: the bits in my saw are pretty mangled from hardware, but it still saws well. It won't take a lot of feed, but I don't have the power to feed real fast anyway.

Another interesting observation: These walnut logs came from trees next to the road, so I expected a LOT of hardware. We hit one small nail and a bit of wire. That was IT! Shocked me, lemme tell ya.

smwwoody

Is that a Case 401 that you are running your mill with?  how does it handle the saw?  I am running my band mill with a 401.  If Bill ever makes it there to pick up that other mill you have I was thinking of running it with the 401.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

jdunmyer

Woody,
 The engine on my mill is a Case 509 Power Unit, it's the same as a Case 500 Diesel tractor. It has a 15:1 compression ratio, quite low for a Diesel, and a Bosch PSB pump. The guy who sold it to me claimed 85 HP, but it's supposedly only 62 HP. I know a fella who has a Case power unit similar to mine on his mill, but his is over 90 HP. It has a different fuel system, but I don't know what the internal differences are. It looks quite similar to mine externally, and appears to have the same LaNova combustion chamber.

You can see the pump and the 3 individual cylinder heads in this pic:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/sawmill/mar27_40.jpg

smwwoody

Heads and motor look the same as mine.  Mine has an in line German Bosch pump on it and is supposed to be 93hp

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

jdunmyer

Woody,
 Your engine sounds like that other Case I mentioned, that one has an inline pump also. The PSB pump on mine is a rotary distributor type. You should have plenty of power for most any mill.

Thank You Sponsors!