iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Black Alder

Started by swampwhiteoak, June 20, 2001, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

Hope that worked.  Genus is easy, species is somewhat harder.

Tom

Well, so far, I'm really puzzled.  The leaves have remote shapes of ginko but they are different.

They look like Mulberry but most mulberry have small points at the tips and I don't know how far north Mulberry grows.  The fruits (?) look a bit like mulberry but not red mulberry. Might be white mulberry.  Then again ..........hmmm-m.  I need a different book.

Hope somebody else has a better idea.

swampwhiteoak

Sorry Tom, mulberry isn't close.
Hint #1:  A close relative grows on streambanks

Tom

I haven't found a picture but I found a verbal description. "Oval leaf almost 4 sided with fine double serations on the edge and 7 veins on each side."  This was the description of Red Birch and so that is just my GUESS until I can find find a better key.

Am I getting warm yet?  Help somebody!  

swampwhiteoak

Gettin warmer, Tom.  Right family.

Tom

I think Alder is a Birch. I'll guess Hazel Alder and then go back to the book store tomorrow.  Man, I am having a hard time finding books with keys outside of  Florida. :-/

Don P

Alder is where I was leaning with the "cones" but the lumber still has too many leaves in the way for me to be sure. ::)

swampwhiteoak

Alder is correct, hazel alder is incorrect.  To be fair you pretty much got it, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference by leaves either.  But a more accurate description should help.

Mature tree 50ft+ tall.  Non-native planted in windbreaks and other CRP lands.  Grows VERY fast.  Not sure if this one will be in tree keys.  

Tom

My book list only one introduced Alder, European Alder.  (Black Alder, European Black Alder).  

Its leaves look a lot like what you have pictured.

Would this be the ID? :-/

swampwhiteoak

Originally posted by Tom
QuoteBlack Alder, European Black Alder
8) 8) 8) 8)

Alright Tom wins a ___, oh wait I don't have anything to give you.  Oh, well.  You can live with the knowledge that solved a mystery. ;D

We use black alder up here mainly in windbreaks (this is heavy farm country).  That stuff shoots up faster than cottonwood and is also a nitrogen fixer.  

Thank You Sponsors!