iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock Lumber in Northeast Tennessee

Started by raptorman01, November 07, 2019, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptorman01

Good Morning everyone, I am looking for a source of hemlock lumber in ne Tennessee. looking to build a rustic front porch and board and baton on one side of a new home. Does anybody know of a good source and what I should expect to pay for 1"X 12" and for 4"X6". What other species would work good for this project, is there any reason not to use Pine?? what do you guys think??? Thanks, Kelly...
1900's Frick 01, Norwood LM2000, F250 P.S.,F350 P.S., CAT D3B, New Holland T5050 FEL, TN75 FEL, 5030 FEL, Stihl 034,310,210. etc. all thanks to the Lord and lots of hard work...

Don P

It's been a few years but if you can't find any locally I've bought from L&E Lumber in Crumpler, NC, near Boone.

Carpenter bees and pine is a real problem, they don't bother hemlock nearly as much. Locust porch and oak siding is another thought. If you go that route borate the oak, powderpost beetles are it's nemesis.

123maxbars

Quote from: raptorman01 on November 07, 2019, 07:16:46 AM
Good Morning everyone, I am looking for a source of hemlock lumber in ne Tennessee. looking to build a rustic front porch and board and baton on one side of a new home. Does anybody know of a good source and what I should expect to pay for 1"X 12" and for 4"X6". What other species would work good for this project, is there any reason not to use Pine?? what do you guys think??? Thanks, Kelly...
Good Luck, I am over in Kingsport, Hemlock is hard to come by, I get calls weekly on customers looking for it, they think its gold for some reason, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

richhiway

Hemlock is hard when it dries and is considered more rot resistant then pine. Pine is fine for siding and is used widely here in the northeast. Once you stain it it will last forever. 

I am sure Nathan above can hook you up with some nice rough cut pine board and batten. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

to answer your price question I get a dollar a board foot. so a 1x12x8 is eight dollars. Everything cost more in NY!

prices vary by area so you may pay less or more depending on demand and availability.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!