iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trimsaw guesstimates

Started by justallan1, November 23, 2016, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

While helping a co-worker retrieve a freezer that he bought today I have found the junk yard of all junkyards. :D
This place has about 8 old tractors, extra loaders, a pile driving truck that I will definitely go back for and on and on.
One thing that caught my attention was this old set of trimsaws. The blades and rollers turn fine, the blades look good and had all of the shanks and bits that I could see. I looked and couldn't find a name plate anywhere on it. Obviously it needs a little love, but it surely usable.
My question is what's it worth? During our conversation the owner did mention selling everything on the property for scrap. :o
I just have no clue as to what to offer or for that matter if I really need it other than to say, "It's Mine".
Thanks for any comments and help.

Peter Drouin

With all the rust and not being there to look, maybe $200.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

I know where there there is one that look like that for sale.
It's for sale. He is asking $1200.00 for it. Maybe I could find
A name tag on it for you.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

I believe that is an edger, is it not?

I love my edger. You cant put a price on love.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

Yep, old-fashioned twin blade edger. That method of shifting the movable blade (long handle) can be a real shoulder killer. You want to be sure it moves freely.

I can't see how the shaft is driven -- it needs to turn in the opposite direction from the feed roller shafts. You'll also need a wide flat belt to connect the front and rear feed rollers (and this might also drive the saws).

A new WM 20 HP+ diesel powered edger will set you back $20,000 or so. If you can buy it for scrap prices, or even double that, you'll have a pretty useful machine (if you don't mind doing a bunch of mechanical work ;D).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WH_Conley

It looks like an American that somebody has put a steel frame.
Bill

justallan1

Yep, it's an edger.  :embarassed: I think I was suffering from "Kid at Christmas Syndrome" ;D
The main shaft is the one that the blades are on and a belt goes over it and turns the rollers the opposite direction.
After thinking on it some, I think this is a case of "I want it" more than "I need it". For the little lumber that I saw it would be plumb crazy and a waste of time to use this, but it sure would be cool to have and show folks on occasion.  ;D
Thanks for the help.

paul case

I bought my first edger out of total I WANT 1 TOO! It was a lot more to work on than to work with. Sold it and did without for a long time, but Eventually bought a good one and then I sold it and got a better one.

I sure like working with my tools instead of working on them.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

justallan1

I think I'm just the opposite Paul. I could tinker all day and be perfectly happy. :)
Okay, when it's time to get something done I'd agree having good equipment is a must.

paul case

I would say offer him a couple hundred. If he takes it you got something that may provide you years of ''happiness''.

PC
pc

goose63

justallan1 if you don't go get it let me know i sure will  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

justallan1

Quote from: goose63 on November 24, 2016, 06:14:08 PM
justallan1 if you don't go get it let me know i sure will  8)
If you can use it I'll certainly give the owner your number, just send it to me in a private message and I'll pass it along and leave it to you guys.
I just bought a house in town and should be looking for smaller toys anyhow.
I didn't mean to be selling something for someone on here on the sly or anything, so you might get with Jeff and keep things good.

justallan1

Quote from: paul case on November 24, 2016, 05:16:08 PM
I would say offer him a couple hundred. If he takes it you got something that may provide you years of ''happiness''.

PC
:D :D :D :D Good call!

Thank You Sponsors!