iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tractor

Started by Seavee, November 12, 2016, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seavee

Well it's time to upgrade the tractor to help out around the mill. I have a Case IH D45 tractor now. Looking to go bigger to help move the heavy logs around.  I have been looking at a Deere 5055e with a grapple. Does anyone have any experience with one Good or bad. I have seen some pictures on the forum ofsome tractors being used. Possible it was at the project in georgia. What size was that tractor and how did it do?
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

fishpharmer

Seavee, that should be a good choice.  I use my 5065e around the mill and farm.  It has the 553 loader, lift capacity with bucket is about 4000 lbs at 59 inches.. ,  more with lighter forks.  The front wheel assist (4x4) really helps with loader work.  I would recommend it.  Also, I think member red clay hound has the same model or very similar.   I believe  Customsawyer's  Deere pictured is considerably larger, around 100 plus hp and stronger loader. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ChugiakTinkerer

I also am dreaming of a tractor and have been reading up on stats at TractorData.Com

If you are considering fresh-from-the-factory new, this web page may help you decide:
https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/html/ag_turf/loader-compatibility/loader-compatibility.html
Woodland Mills HM130

Seavee

Thanks Fish , I thought customs trattoria was a big one. Just could remember the picture. I'm leaning towards the 5055.  Chugiak I sped a fair amount of time just up the road  from you just north of Wasilla. Family owns a trucking company up there out of Anchorage.  Thanks for the link. My light D45 is able to move most of the logs I mill around. 4000lbs would be nice.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

ozarkgem

Skidsteer. Since I got mine, my tractor and loader only gets used when I need a loader
on each end of the job. But you may have other uses for a tractor. 4 WD is a must in my opinion.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Peter Drouin

I would go for a older one. Like 8 or 10 years old. Only because of the new tier 4 smog thing. EVERY body I know  has a new one don't like them. No matter what make.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 13, 2016, 12:35:00 PM
I would go for a older one. . . .  No matter what make.
x2
A couple of things to consider SeaVee:
- tractors generally go in two flavours; green or yellow
- green is agricultural: high ground clearance, lighter weight, loader made to lift large bales, smaller frame, geared tranny and clutch.
- yellow is industrial: heavier, loader built for a bucket full of cement (strong), usually a hydrostatic tranny.
- tractors are only as useful as their attachments, a loader "quick change" setup is highly recommended.
- grapple for logs, forks for lumber, bucket for sawdust/gravel/snow.
- other attachments as required; mower, chipper, carryall, ballast box. get 'em only if you need 'em.

My choice was a twenty year old yellow tractor that can be serviced by local supplier/dealer/mechanic, and it's working out really well for my 'construction' type of sawmill environment.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Mine is a 80 horse 2000 with no turbo, I don't like them turbos. :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

ladylake

What's  wrong with a turbo. more power and better fuel economy. Every big rig has them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

fishpharmer

I used to think a non turbo engine should last longer and have less trouble.  I really don't know if that's true.  My 5065e is a 3 cylinder turbo.  I believe the 5045e upto the 5075e are essentially identical tractors.  The 5065e and 5075e have turbos and the others do not.  With these newer, electrical problem prone tractors, regardless of brand, warranty and good dealer support sure help. 

Seavee, there are quite a few tractor reviews on youtube that may be worth watching. 

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

More like EPA prone emissions problems on all new diesels, all brands.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Davek603

I have a Kubota M7040. Been very happy with it. Turbos are just another thing to break.
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

ladylake

Having run turbos in trucks for years I've never had one fail and if it did it would have cost around $350 to replace, with that said my mill doesn't have a turbo and runs cheap but the extra 8 hp with a turbo would be nice.  Steve

fishpharmer

Quote from: ladylake on November 13, 2016, 05:13:05 PM
More like EPA prone emissions problems on all new diesels, all brands.  Steve

Must agree, from what I have seen and read the emissions have a large computer controlled component on most tier 4 engines. 

Peter Drouin

I like my JD with no turbo. 80 horses at idle or wide open. With a turbo you can get to 80 with a high RPM. With a turbo at idle what do you have 50 maybe. Or do I have it all wrong.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Rob in NC

We just bought a 2015 5075e 4wd a month ago and I'm not that impressed. We also have a 2640 2wd (early 80s model) both have loaders. Both are 75hp. Here's what I can tell you from the short amount of time I've used it so far:
-The 2640 will out pull it with my 32 blade disc because of weight. Same HP but it weighs 1500-2000lbs more. Even in 4wd no comparison to the older tractor.
-headlights fell out first 10 hours on new tractor. All plastic hood. Plastic housing. Plastic guards. Plastic everything.
-new tractor has intensely complicated systems from engine to exhaust system etc. all computer based. You will never fix one thing on this tractor because of it. Going to dealer for everything. The older one I could completely rebuild and I'm not a mechanic. Simple simple.
-hate the location of the joystick for the loader. I can't hit the right rear brake without my leg getting into it.
-I feel like most of the controls (except joystick) are pretty easy access on the new tractor. It's designed more for utility then row cropping like the 2640
-the toolbox and the hydraulic hookups for the loader are stuck out past tire on left and right. If you spend anytime in the woods you will break both of these off.
-I like the bucket and fork disconnects. Much easier then older model.

Still too new to have gone through everything. It's a nice ride but I expected more from JD for the high price tag. We will prob keep through warranty and then move it on down the road and get a later model that's been well taken of for 1/2 the price. I'm probably painting a negative picture but for over $30k price tag you expect a real solid piece of machinery with no issues.

Also have a Massey Ferguson 383 which has been a great tractor.

One more thing: I can't get through an entire day on one tank of fuel. The 2640 I fill up every 2 weeks at most. I can't remember how much it holds so I can't tell you if it's burning more or just holding less. My guess would
Be much smaller tank.

Some of this will depend on your need and habits. If you spend 5 hours per month on it none of this may matter. We work our equipment. Hard. But we take care of it too. I'm very particular about maintenance but when I get on it I may hammer down for 10 hours straight working and I need something that can keep up with me.

2012 Lt 35 manual

Rob in NC

Peter what series is your tractor?
2012 Lt 35 manual

thecfarm

I know all JD are not the same. But the smaller ones,20-50 hp,seem like they put alot of things in the way if working it in the woods. I look at all tractors at a show,fair, whatever and I think of the woods. Most have too much plastic now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Seavee,  I did some searching on tractordata.com and Nebraska tractor tests.  Seems my 2012 5065e is different from the new tier 4 5065e.  Not exactly sure how or why except the emissions.  These other fellas have made some very good points. 

Rob in NC, here are some links about 2640 and 5075e.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/008/1/0/8108-john-deere-5075e.html

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/John%20Deere%205075E%20FT4%202%20post.pdf

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/9/92-john-deere-2640.html

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2527&context=tractormuseumlit

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 13, 2016, 08:07:22 PM
I like my JD with no turbo. 80 horses at idle or wide open.

Even without a turbo your 80hp tractor only makes 80hp at its rated 540 PTO RPM. At lower rpm's your N/A tractor will make the nearly same power as a turbo'd tractor.

pinefeller

Quote from: ladylake on November 13, 2016, 04:14:50 PM

What's  wrong with a turbo. more power and better fuel economy. Every big rig has them.  Steve

turbo motors a less efficient than naturally aspirated ones but usually turbos kind of just hang out until you speed up the motor and the turbo spools up (this will also bring up hp but increase fuel usage) you will produce more power in a physically smaller package though. for big rigs its all abought weight. they are allowed to weigh maybe 100-110,000lbs in most places so a lighter truck can carry more payload = more proffit. fyi trucks get around 4mpg lol

also on hp, your tractors hp is rated at a certain rpm so if you got an 80 hp tractor thats probably at 1500rpm(Engine)
but at an idle, i bet its more like 30

x2 on yellow stuff way more machine and usually more hd for less $ just not that romantic green color everyone dreams about
x2on old stuff, but dont go antique( its not always practical) most manufactures built some good stuff from the 80's to the early 00s' thats pretty affordable
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

ladylake

Big rigs used to get 6 1/2 to 7 mpg before all this pollution regulations came along, now down to 4 mpg.  Steve

YellowHammer

Don't forget Blue.  They make the T4 series for Europe and North America specifically as a hybrid agricultural and construction dual role.  Comes with the increased front end loader capacity, beefed up frame, wider front tires for carrying heavier loads, heavier duty front and rear axle, dual hydraulic pumps,  quick disconnect front end loader, and self leveling forks. Tier 4 turbo, and gets lots of use as a do everything on our 150 acre cattle farm and sawmill operation.  It's never been in the shop.

Carrying a nice log
Mine is a T4.95.

Ready to go with a grapple

Digging decent sized stumps

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Rob in NC

I think you're going to flirt with some of these new age issues with any brand tractor such as plastic everywhere emissions  Computer systems very complicated etc. they're just not built like that used to be.  We looked at some masseys and they did not get near the reviews as the older tractors.  The current John Deere 5000 series looking at it from the outside it is the perfect tractor that's why we bought ours they're very impressive when you walk around them.  I believe the emissions year on the John Deere was 2012 but research that to be sure.  We looked at a couple models that were in that 2010 year range to avoid the emissions but the one specifically we were looking at the turbo was going out on it and it had 250 hours. My Massey has 4K hours  for comparison they should be good for twice that if you take care of them  so 250 hours on a new tractor is about 1500 miles on a new car.

I have heard good things about Mahindra tractors but I've never owned one and I was scared to get away from the big brands because of resale. JD tractors resale fast.  My cousin swears by case for whatever that's worth  Lol.  He does have three of them  so there must be something good about them.

My best suggestion is find something in the early 2000's that's been well taken care of it will be great if you could find one you knew a little history on or the person selling it.  Your money will go further and you can't wear out the tractor long as you take care of it.   That's probably gonna be my next move if this new one doesn't work out. I've got a ford 4000 my granddad bought brand-new in the 60s all we've done is general oil changes and maintenance to it and it runs like a top.  Funny thing about that tractor is it's worth more now than it was brand-new b/c inflation.

Sorry for all the scribble but I just went through the same thing you're going through so it's been hot on my mind.  Hopefully some of this feedback helps you out.  If you were closer I'd tell you to come drive mine.
2012 Lt 35 manual

Thank You Sponsors!