iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An Echo CS-670 any good?

Started by davefrommd, January 22, 2005, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

Does anyone have an Echo CS-670 chainsaw. I was wondering if they were any good. I usually cut about 30 trees 12" to 30" diameter a year for firewood and was looking to try another brand chainsaw. All my saws work fine. You know how it is.. you get the urge to buy a new tool, you just need an excuse to get it.  I have a stihl 440 mag with 25" bar,  pm-10-10-s 28" bar mcculloch. Any other saws I should consider. Thanks in advance.  dave

Tom

I'm not sure of the model but DanG has an Echo.  He really likes it.

rahtreelimbs

I just got a 670 last month. Once the muffler is opened up and the limiter caps are defeated it is a decent running saw for the money. The 670 has a generous oiler along with the manual override.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

davefrommd

Tom, this echo is next to the largest one echo makes. I was just looking at chainsaws while picking up some parts. Thanks for your input.   dave

davefrommd

So how did you open up your muffler and the limiter caps do you mean the plastic caps they use to limit the turning of the two screws to adjust the carburetor. I liked how the air filter cover easily unlatches. A customer came in with his 670 which is what got my attention to looking at that saw. Thanks   dave

davefrommd

Oh yea I forgot about that I noticed the automatic & manual oiler on the 670. An added bonus. My mcculloch 10-10s has a manual oiler over ride also.  dave

DanG

Dave, I've had my CS-670 for a couple of years now.  I'm very pleased with it. It is my first really good saw, and I don't have any experience with Stihls or Huskys to draw comparisons. However, several friends that have used it are raving about it. They seemed to like it better than the others.  It came with a 24" bar, and I bought a 32" as well. The saw is a bit out of balance with the 32", but handles it well, power-wise.

Like any of the "pro" saws, the dealer is the one that makes or breaks the brand. I wouldn't buy an Echo if their wasn't a really good dealer around. The same is true for the others. If you consider just the machine itself, I'd rate the 670 as the best buy in it's class.

BTW, I also have a CS-300, 14" arborist's saw. I can say without reservation that it is the best little saw I've ever used! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

I got invited to a party by Hurricane Frances last year. I took the 670 along as my date.  Here we are on the dance floor. ;D

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

leweee

Dang  that picture shore is perty. Swing your partner, dough see dough 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jokers

Echo has never had the snob appeal(in some cases due to advertising) of the European brands but they make a darn tough engine and features like the auxilary oiler are an added bonus.

I ran Echos in the early eighties and they were tough as nails. Unfortunately at that time the Stihls and Huskies were getting lighter and revving higher so I switched brands. I hear that there are a few excellent saws in the Echo lineup including the 670.

Russ

davefrommd

Nice action photo. Thanks.. It sounds like echo is a good saw to consider buying. I also have the cs-300 a few months old but never used it. I let the neighbor use it for a day and the saw started up real easy like.  The 670 comes with a 24" bar. How much is a 32" bar. Appreciate all the responses.  dave

DanG

I think I dropped close to a hundred for the bar and 2 loops.  I haven't used it much, but it's a lifesaver when ya need it.

The 300 is an easy starter. 3 pulls in the morning and just a bump after that. :)  You gotta watch yer old habits, though. The gas tank is up front, by the bar, and the oil tank in the rear! :o :o  Ya just gotta consider that there must have been a reason. ???  Another thing to remember on a really hot day.  Don't wait for that little saw to run out of gas before you take a water break. It seem's like it will run forever on a tank. ;)  In fact, both of them are stingy with the gas. If I'm just trimmin' and buckin' around the mill, I fill both of'em twice a month even if they don't need it. ;D :D :D

leweee

Dang.... you just got to love a dance partner that is easy on the wallet :D ;D ;D 8)

ps Dang...I think I hear an Echo in this Thread :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

DanG

YEP                 yep

I HEAR IT                   i hear it

rahtreelimbs

QuoteSo how did you open up your muffler and the limiter caps do you mean the plastic caps they use to limit the turning of the two screws to adjust the carburetor. I liked how the air filter cover easily unlatches. A customer came in with his 670 which is what got my attention to looking at that saw. Thanks   dave

On the limiter caps.....just pull them off . Threading a small sheet metal screw works.

As far as the muffler, I just used a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to open the tube that runs into the inside of the muffler from where the screen attaches. All you have to do is cut about an inch off of the tube making sure that you have enough surface left to support the screen. This allows the exhaust a more direct and less restrictive way out.

I also opened up the plate that holds the screen on.

.If this mod explanation doesn't have enough info let me know.

Take a look at the muffler with the screen off and you should see what I mean.

Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

sawguy21

I had to chuckle DanG. Put oil in the front and gas in the back of the first CS341 I tried to start :D Carb is in the front due to the reed porting which seems to contribute to the strong torque, similar concept to the Stihl 009l. Course the Echo is waaay smoother
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Glad to know I ain't the only one that's been caught by that. :D :D :D

davefrommd

Thanks for the mod info. I don't have the 670 yet but should have it at the beginning of next month. Does the exhaust exit the side of the muffler and chainsaw as it looks like in the picture. dave

rahtreelimbs

QuoteDoes the exhaust exit the side of the muffler and chainsaw as it looks like in the picture. dave

No! If you need help let me know and we can chat off the forum.

Thank You Sponsors!