iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maybe a from the blue question to those who know...PPE's

Started by weimedog, January 03, 2016, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Kind of reflecting on the last 25 years or so... mainly as that's as far as I think I can accurately remember! Teenaged years are a blur. Not certain how I survived in retrospect. Combination or tree farm work and racing dirt bikes. Then watching things this last 15 years at my day job. The concept of PPE's means SO much there. Some folks aren't blessed with a sense of understanding the physics of what they are dealing with. PPE's can help make life threatening/life altering evens just brown shorts or just painful. From steel toe shoes to helmets.

SO the question is, are there any helmet concepts that have an actual chin strap?? My dirt bike head wear evolved from those bell open face helmets with plastic masks to full face helmets that have ventilation to where they are comfortable even with all the protection. I understand the chances of face planting from a dirt bike are higher...but the damage done with a head strike from a chainsaw can be even more debilitating. I looked around and most are things like what I have and they are primarily held on by "ear muffs" and while suspended in a way protecting from hits from above, have just the mask as protection from strikes from  directly from the front. There HAS to be better equipment out there on the market. I've had Stihl, Husqvarna, Forester and similar head gear over the years...looking for the next step in evolution.

Ebay ad deleted by Admin, refer to forum rules regarding such ads.

Maybe a "Ice Hockey" style concept with a bit less cage??
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

thecfarm

@HolmenTree I betcha could help you out. Looks like he has a helmet with a chin strap on in his avatar
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pine

A brand that I know has a chin strap is "Woody"
The Woody Chain saw helmet I bought 10 years ago did not have one but the one I bought 7 years ago did so they had made a change in that time.  As far as I know they all have them know.  Have not looked at the Stihl helmets recently.  The link you put up is yellow color instead of orange and that is about the only difference that I can see.

sawguy21

I have wondered about that too, maybe no chin strap so a rap will take the helmet off and leave the coconut where it is supposed to be. ;D Petzl and others make arborist helmets but they don't have a brim or visor.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/protection-safety/head-protection
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 03, 2016, 12:15:26 PM
I have wondered about that too, maybe no chin strap so a rap will take the helmet off and leave the coconut where it is supposed to be. ;D Petzl and others make arborist helmets but they don't have a brim or visor.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/protection-safety/head-protection

Thank you..

It is really good to see companies actually developing further this stuff. I agree that it would be nice to see those style helmet with a brim/visor.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on January 03, 2016, 12:24:38 PM
This one with ear and face shield??

http://www.sherrilltree.com/protection-safety/head-protection/pacific-kevlar-helmet

Maybe this one from that Sherrill Site?
http://www.sherrilltree.com/protection-safety/head-protection/rockman-premium-forestry-helmet
Walter,  the first helmet the Pacific Kevlar is my main helmet I wear, it's the best helmet on the  market.  Pricy though  .
The helmet I'm wearing in my avatar picture is a Petzl helmet I use only for climbing work.

The last helmet you posted the Rock men forestry premium is an excellent choice for chainsaw ground work at  Fair price for everything on it.
The Chin strap built into the helmet suspension has saved many lives over the years.
Many deaths have been prevented by the number one hazard......struck byes when the helmet is kept on the persons head.
These struck byes whether it's a widow maker (a falling piece of a tree), or a whole tree can flip a helmet off ones head and a split second later the solid piece of the hazard then strikes the unprotected head.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

fordf150

check out elvex.com they have some decent looking helmet systems. they have chin straps as an add on option. no experience with them though.

http://elvex.com/head-face-ear.htm

Caloren

I bought the elvex cu-25-v last year and have been very happy with it. It does not have a chin strap, never even thought about needing one until this thread came up. Wore several different types of hard hats in 38 years of work [not forestry] and never saw one with a chin strap.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

HolmenTree

Quote from: fordf150 on January 03, 2016, 12:57:42 PM
check out elvex.com they have some decent looking helmet systems. they have chin straps as an add on option. no experience with them though.

http://elvex.com/head-face-ear.htm
Out dated helmet. Those optional chin straps have been around for over 50  years.
Look close at that Elvex helmet (also most other forestry helmets) and you'll see a little tab with a hole on the bottom edge of the helmet directly in front of the earmuff.
The optional chin strap hooks into these little tabs on both sides. Very weak attachment under heavy impact,  no comparison to the 3 point built in to the suspension  chinstrap .

http://www.sherrilltree.com/protection-safety/head-protection/pacific-kevlar-helmet

John Mc

Has anyone used the Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet?

Sounded like they've made some improvements from their "Pro Forest Helmet", but it also costs more than twice as much.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Interesting find John, first time I seen this helmet. 
After reading that it has a head lamp slot , I'm  thinking no one should be cutting trees in the dark. :o
So I'm not surprised that it's not equipped with a 3 point chin strap. :D

weimedog

Holmen Tree, First thanks for the feedback and info ... I like the idea of the Pacific Kevlar helmet. Can you get "made to fit" ear protection and face screen/mask??

The old saying in the dirt bike world was if you have a $50 dollar head, get a $50 dollar helmet! Bet most would think nothing about dropping $250 on a dirt bike or snow mobile helmet. Why not one you wear year around weekly  or if you are a pro daily? I need to get more serious & convince the folks I work in the woods with to also change a bit the way we all think about these PPE's... And of course Some here have already gone through that process.. :) (Which is why we ask here...)

HolmenTree

Yes you can attach all the gear to the Kevlar helmet as mine shows here....

Thank You Sponsors!