iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short logs better than long ones??

Started by SawyerBrown, June 16, 2014, 08:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Didn't see this one coming ...

Just heard back and got pix from a job coming up on Saturday, guy has (had) one nice 32"-ish hard maple log, as well as some smaller ones that will yield some nice lumber but not like the big one.  There apparently was one big limb coming off an end that I earlier told him he needed to trim down to at least a 32" diameter ... but for some reason, he also decided to cut it in half.  The only reason I can think of is he had to move it from a church to his house for sawing ...  So now he's got 2 logs, judging from the pix they're about 4' long, and I have to explain that short logs are very difficult to deal with, and in fact I charge for an 8' minimum as a result.   

When I get calls, I try to give the best advice I know on how to get the most good lumber out of logs, and many times we'll talk about end-use and minimum lengths and locations of knots/bends/defects and such, but in this case I knew the logs were already on the ground and none too long to begin with, so I didn't even think about telling the guy not to cut the best log in half ...  I guess I need to add that to every conversation in the future.  I feel bad for him ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I sawed one ~18" long a couple of weeks ago.  Since I was already sawing "hourly rate", it just went in with the rest.

When I am sawing bf rate, anything less than 8' is scaled 8'.  Sometimes we deal with some strange stuff.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I hate the the little short ones.  Especially the little short pecan ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Quoteand in fact I charge for an 8' minimum as a result. 

That fact in your check sheet that you give to your customers should handle the problem. At least it won't be a surprise to him. 

QuoteI try to give the best advice I know on how to get the most good lumber out of logs, and many times we'll talk about end-use and minimum lengths and locations of knots/bends/defects and such,

Be careful not to try to cover all the bases in a phone conversation, as the customers eyes may glaze over and he may not remember a thing.
A fact sheet would help you keep conversations short and help you not having to remember every little, but important, detail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!