iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar guide value, quality, or experience

Started by Canadiana, March 09, 2018, 01:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadiana

I want to start a topic that covers chainsaw bar guides. After searching here for opinions on the subject, i found nothing directly related. I am navigating which brand/length/price is best for me and i hoping that a few members will share some experience with bar prices, bar wear/life, weight or any other relevant views :P.
I had a bad experience with running a 20" husky 61 bar through a few pieces of dead fall doug fir that were about 36". The cuts were nearly 5 minutes a piece (one cut on each side of the log) and used more than half a tank. Wood was hard but excessively thick dusty bark. More oil was needed and more saw was needed too. Oiler is not adjustable. Bar was original. Bar no will no longer balance standing on a flat surface so smiley_thumbsdown
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

chet

61 Husqvarna's do have an adjustable oil pump. Also make sure the groove and oil inlet hole in your bar is clean of debris. Unless your bar is badly bent, cracked or chunks missing from it, you should be able to straighten and "dress" it. Sharpen the chain and you should be good ta go.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

John Mc

A Pferd Universal Edge Sharpener can do wonders for deburring and truing up worn bars.

However, if you trashed the bar in just a few cuts, it's also possible the bar got overheated in the process, destroying the temper. If so, it will wear very quickly in the future.

(BTW, the link above is to Amazon. It doesn't appear we currently have a site sponsor who sells basic chainsaw tools, loops of chains, etc. Seems like a nice opportunity for someone in that business. Am I missing it somewhere? )
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

We need more description or better yet a photo of the bar.
The rails are worn uneven from when you mentioned it won't balance on edge on a flat surface. Uneven or spread rails ...
Sounds like sharpening the chain is an issue.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Canadiana

Quote from: chet on March 09, 2018, 08:24:49 AM
61 Husqvarna's do have an adjustable oil pump. Also make sure the groove and oil inlet hole in your bar is clean of debris. Unless your bar is badly bent, cracked or chunks missing from it, you should be able to straighten and "dress" it. Sharpen the chain and you should be good ta go.
I haven't been able to find an adjustment for the oiler. Is it in the bottom?

Canadiana

Quote from: John Mc on March 09, 2018, 08:42:37 AM
A Pferd Universal Edge Sharpener can do wonders for deburring and truing up worn bars.

However, if you trashed the bar in just a few cuts, it's also possible the bar got overheated in the process, destroying the temper. If so, it will wear very quickly in the future.

(BTW, the link above is to Amazon. It doesn't appear we currently have a site sponsor who sells basic chainsaw tools, loops of chains, etc. Seems like a nice opportunity for someone in that business. Am I missing it somewhere? )
Overheated? Oh yeah. There are a few inches of bluing on there. No cracks. It's getting close to having chunks missing but just a bunch of wear on the 4 corners. Will any saw shop have the ability to dress it? Or just the good ones.

Canadiana

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 09, 2018, 08:49:46 AM
We need more description or better yet a photo of the bar.
The rails are worn uneven from when you mentioned it won't balance on edge on a flat surface. Uneven or spread rails ...
Sounds like sharpening the chain is an issue.
A photo would be best. It will be a while before i could get pics as i stored it at a friend's place. I think the saw was run too long with an improperly sharpened chain and that causes uneven rail wear

John Mc

Quote from: Canadiana on March 09, 2018, 09:45:13 AM
I haven't been able to find an adjustment for the oiler. Is it in the bottom?
It's hidden on the 61. See page 34 of this Husqvarna 61 Owner's Manual.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: Canadiana on March 09, 2018, 09:50:50 AMOverheated? Oh yeah. There are a few inches of bluing on there. No cracks. It's getting close to having chunks missing but just a bunch of wear on the 4 corners

The temper is likely gone and the metal in that area softened. Generally, the color blue happens on steel when it is at a temperature below what is required to destroy the temper of the steel. However, if you have significant bluing, odds are that the point that was generating the heat got well above that temperature. Since that heat point is usually the point where the chain meets the bar, the odds of your bar still being in good shape are slim.

You can try to true up the bar, but it will likely wear very quickly again. When I had that happen to a bar, it got demoted to "stump duty" until it was too far gone to true back up again.

QuoteWill any saw shop have the ability to dress it? Or just the good ones.

Good ones will. The local hardware store or big box store will probably have no idea what you are talking about (or will pretend they do and damage your bar even further while trying to "fake it").

It's not at all hard to do with the tool I linked above. I've also seen someone do it on a belt sander with a jig to hold the bar perpendicular to the belt (use a relatively fine grit, and be careful not to overheat it if you do this). I've also seem people free-hand it with a flat file, but few are able to keep the file square enough to the bar to get good results.

Canadiana

Back to the original topic, which brands make the options for a replacement bar?  splitwood_smiley

HolmenTree

Quote from: Canadiana on March 10, 2018, 03:30:49 AM
Back to the original topic, which brands make the options for
Oregon and Stihl offer the most common options in North America .
If your serious about quality in a guide bar...forget laminated go solid body bar with replaceable sprocket nose.
I just sold this new 550XP recently that originally came with a cheap generic laminated bar.
I sold it with a Sandvik Windsor Mini Pro bar circa 1980's - 90's . Today the bar is rebadged as a Cannon Super Mini.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Canadiana

Quote from: chet on March 09, 2018, 08:24:49 AM
Wow that oil adjustment screw sure is well hidden. I never would have found it. Thanks 

Thank You Sponsors!