iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Poulan is a goner & my chainsaw budget is $425?

Started by ReggieT, October 29, 2013, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

That is a rather fine deal on a pretty nice saw. I'd go for it if I had $400 to burn on a saw.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

weimedog

Either the Stihl or Husqvarna/Jonsered $400 dollar home owner saws are ok. I hear there is a new 455 "Autotune" that runs better than the old 455 and has some other upgrades for around the $400 dollar mark. Also the Husqvarna 450 still linger around some of the TSC stores should beat that $400 mark and are great little saws new. Lots of options in that price range!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

Can hardly believe this hasn't been pointed out yet, but a saw that has been sitting with fuel in it since last March and isn't running properly is not deserving of refund, exchange or warranty work. There was probably nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all. Just a little TLC and she'd be up and running fine.

That being said, cutting lot's of tops, running a 16" bar and being concerned about the weight, the advice to get a good 50cc class saw is right on the money. Plenty of options between the $300 and $400 mark. Best deal at $425, (in my store anyway), is the Husky 545 or Jonny 2252.

But again, (and I'm not picking on you), having to go back to the store because the saw has been sitting with gas in it indicates that you should buy a saw from a local servicing dealer. All of the saws mentioned are fine, but you need to get one from a shop that will be there for support when you need it. Don't just compare saws, compare the dealers and go with your gut feeling on who you want to do business with.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

tlandrum

www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

weimedog

Quote from: Spike60 on October 31, 2013, 04:37:46 PM
There was probably nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all. Just a little TLC and she'd be up and running fine.

If it wasn't a Poulan, might make a good project saw though..lol
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ReggieT

Quote from: Spike60 on October 31, 2013, 04:37:46 PM

Can hardly believe this hasn't been pointed out yet, but a saw that has been sitting with fuel in it since last March and isn't running properly is not deserving of refund, exchange or warranty work. There was probably nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all. Just a little TLC and she'd be up and running fine.

That being said, cutting lot's of tops, running a 16" bar and being concerned about the weight, the advice to get a good 50cc class saw is right on the money. Plenty of options between the $300 and $400 mark. Best deal at $425, (in my store anyway), is the Husky 545 or Jonny 2252.

But again, (and I'm not picking on you), having to go back to the store because the saw has been sitting with gas in it indicates that you should buy a saw from a local servicing dealer. All of the saws mentioned are fine, but you need to get one from a shop that will be there for support when you need it. Don't just compare saws, compare the dealers and go with your gut feeling on who you want to do business with.

Good advice Spike60...well spoken & 1000% accurate.
I've learned I can't know or do everything...so in those areas: I DELEGATE to those who do and do me a great job.

There is a super friendly, knowledgeable, and professional shop that sells Sthil...I'm about 99% certain I'll hook up with them...I like their service, people skills, and 10 minute drive.
I appreciate all the great wisdom & advice, not to mention the offers. Call it what you want...I just don't care for anything HUSKY makes...just too many friends who have em and hate em...and that's that.

But... I was just sent these other options moments ago: 8)
1.) Dolmar PS-510-18 50cc 18" Bar Chainsaw - $325 Brand new...never made a cut.
2.) Stihl MS 311 Chainsaw  18"- $325.....low hours
3.) Stihl MS 390 20" - $390...1 yr old

Any thoughts? ???
ps...talked with a bud of mine who is a saw guru extraordinaire and works at the Lowes...he went through my Poulan...along with their resident "saw god" repair guy...they could never get it started and said it was fundamentally toast! ;)

Ianab

Thing with the Poulan is that the old gas probably turned to varnish inside the carb, totally gummed up the works. Now it could be fixed. Strip down the saw, take the carb apart, run it though an ultrasonic cleaner, re-assemble everything, and it would probably go again. But it would still be a Poulan, so it's simply not worth the effort.

Do the same thing to a Stihl, it wont go either, but it's worth the effort to resurrect it, or buy a new carb as a good used one is still worth $3-400.

As for the other options you have, none of them are "Bad".  New Dolmar, not a pro grade saw, but for what you want, it will do fine. Good used Stihl? Again, they will get the job done. Those saws are the same base as the 290 you were looking at, same weight etc. Just a bigger piston on top, so a bit more power.

If you aren't into fixing things yourself, then the warranty you get with a new saw has to count as a lot. OK you might not get warranty if it dies from old gas, but at least the dealer should be able to fix it for a sensible price.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Andyshine77

I've ran most every modern saw on the market, and honestly for the money, the Poulan 5020 is a nice running saw. No it's not a 346xp, but if you took half decent care of the old girl, it likely would have been around for quite some time. To be completely honest the overall construction of saws like the Poulan 5020 and MS290 are quite similar, being plastic clam shell in design. My point? What happened to your Poulan would have happened to any saw, that has no dealer backing it up, that would have likely got it back up and running for next to nothing.
Andre.

missedbass

I have an ms271 that's been a great saw for me, lighter than the 290, more advanced and $399.
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

ReggieT

Hmm....  smiley_thumbsup -THANKS!!!
btw...I've learned my lesson on fuel left in a saw for extended period of time guys... ::)

Andyshine77

Quote from: ReggieT on November 01, 2013, 04:57:28 AM
Hmm....  smiley_thumbsup -THANKS!!!
btw...I've learned my lesson on fuel left in a saw for extended period of time guys... ::)

Well good!!! JK we all learn something new everyday.  smiley_beertoast
Andre.

ReggieT

Quote from: missedbass on November 01, 2013, 04:37:37 AM
I have an ms271 that's been a great saw for me, lighter than the 290, more advanced and $399.
Hey...on the Stihl site they list the Farm Boss 290 at only 7 ounces heavier??? smiley_confused

missedbass

Yes but the improvements with the 271 over the 290 made my choice easy, not so much the weight.
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

ladylake

At 12.3# a MS271 is heavy for a 50cc saw, with back and shoulder surgery I'd be getting a light 50cc saw.  A Echo CS500p weighs 14 1/2 # ready to cut, some other light 50cc saws are a 346xp,  MS260, maybe a 550 Husky all will weigh about 15# ready to cut.  That 357 will be a bit over 17# ready to cut.   Also it's a shame when they trough away a saw that just needs the carb cleaned, run gas without ethanol, use seafoam or staibil or drain the gas real good.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CTYank

I still don't understand the snobbery against Poulan and pro Stihl. Both can work fine, with proper care & feeding. Stihl just costs more. Homeowner models cheaply made.

Way before I'd consider a Stihl 250, I'd go for a RedMax GZ4000 or thereabouts. You'll forget all about the Stihl. Different league.

Around here, dealers are money-pits, sad to say. Main function is to deny warranty coverage and process credit cards. Not at all like Spike60. No biggie to learn how to DIY, unless you're near Ashokan NY (Spike60).
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ReggieT

IT IS SETTLED!! 8)
Tomorrow I will pull the trigger on one of two saws: The Stihl MS290 or MS271...a lot will depend upon what my dealers shares as whats been his experience with service issues with both saws.

I really am leaning toward the MS271, based on how little I cut and the fact that my Poulan Pro 5020 equipped with a 20' bar, Stihl chisel chain and it's 50cc's ripped through Osage Orange trunks like they were soft pine!

I was greatly helped by reading a post here by SasquatchMan entitled, "Poulan Pro 5020 av and Stihl MS 271 head to head"
on: September 23, 2012...AWESOME!

But, as usual I am open to last minute feedback & suggestions.

Man I really like the atmosphere and respect over here...it's almost unreal as compared to some of the "Neanderthal" verbal bashing's I witnessed on another site. taz-smiley bat_smailey

Thanks Again,
Reg

Spike60

Cool Reg; it's decision time! (can't get any wood cut typing, right?)

OK, I really don't know my Stihls that good, but hasn't the 290 been replaced by the 291? I know I've seen one, and it seemed like they did a real nice job on the redesign. I think I'd chose it over the 271 if I was going with that particular brand.  :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

missedbass

the 291 will put him over budget, at that point i would get a 261
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

Spike60

Quote from: missedbass on November 02, 2013, 08:37:43 AM
the 291 will put him over budget, at that point i would get a 261

I'm not up on the Stihl prices either.  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jdhacker

I just got a new ms291, I got a 16in bar on mine. it had a 20 but they changed it out and put a good chain on it. I've only cut one cord of wood so far. But I can tell you it will get it done. I have nothing to compare to it. As my other saws are not in the same class. The saw AV is great, it has a large power band lots of power. And It's supposed to be 12.1 pounds, it does feel lite less then my xl12, how it will hold up I don't know but I will find out. I sell around 75 truck loads a year. And a tank of gas goes a long way, almost all the wood I cut is white oak and slick bark hickory.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jdhacker

hahaha yes a lot quieter, I hope it last as long.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

Andyshine77

Reggie for what you're doing either saw will do what you need it to. I personally would spend a bit more and go with lighter better built saw, that if taken care of will likely last you a lifetime. The MS261 is an awesome saw!! best air filter on the market, mag case, smooth as could be and power behind all that, you get the idea.     
Andre.

GregGA

I second the Redmax GZ4000.  I am new to chainsaws, but not Redmax. I have a 4800Z blower from 2002, and it starts 3rd pull cold everytime.

I am mechanically inclined, and didn't have a problem buying without dealer support.  But I also knew Redmax, at least prior to the Husky buy out, is a quality product, and the Japanese have QC down to a science.  My saw was made in 2006, so I can't comment on the more recent Redmax's. But if they are still made in Japan, and have Zenoah engines, you can't beat 'em.

I would buy from a dealer if they were a smaller mom and pop saw store.
I know more than the guy behind the counter at Ace that sells Stihl.

After finding this forum, I know there are smaller dealers where I can buy another saw by mail and not worry.  The internet is amazing :laugh:

Andyshine77

The 4000 is a fine little saw, but quite a bit smaller the what he's looking for.
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!