iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

thecfarm

Them critters like my squash plants, especially the zucchini plants.
So far they stay in the garden and not in the house. I don't have them on my tomatoes, yet,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

alanh

I`m building a new bathroom vanity from a pile of red oak I  cut awhile back, after getting the front frame on I grabbed a nice piece off the pile and cut out the panel doors, I planed `em down,routered them up,stuck them together and set them against the vanity.....then noticed they were white oak..doh. Picture is of the second (proper lumber) set of doors.

WDH

That is looking really good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alanh

Thank`s, it`s my first project that involves doors and drawers in quite a few years, getting the "relearning curve" back created some designer kindling wood. I made the drawer guides from wood last night, that went pretty well compared to the doors, got them first shot.

WV Sawmiller

Well, it was yesterday actually. I had a pile of free (There's that word again) dirt I got from the road department several months back. I have been using it as fill to raise the level of my lower lot next to the creek behind my boat house and fish and game cleaning station. I have been moving it whenever I had a little spare time and the weather permitted with baby John (JD 750) and my small FEL. I was nearly done and determined to finish yesterday even though the lot was a little damp. I finally got all the dirt spread now just need to dress it up a little when the ground dries out (or freezes?) and I can drive the tractor over it with my blade and not bog down too badly. Anyway I put baby John up last night and decided to use him to move my stack of mantels as a neighbor wants a badly split up hickory one for a river table.Of course it is on the bottom of the stack so I had to move the 10 above it. Mostly they are stacked 3 mantels wide and each is 3-4 inches thick and mostly 8-10 feet long so they are pretty heavy. It was down in the low 20's last night so I plugged in the block heater for 30-40 minutes while I worked on some other project. I cranked baby John up and started to back out to the front of the shed to put the forks in the bucket but John kept veering right. I checked to see that I wasn't in a frozen rut then checked the tires to make sure none were flat. No problem there. Finally I realized the soft mud on the front tie rods had frozen and would not allow me to steer. I knocked enough off with a spud bar and hatchet  to get some range of motion then drove down to the lot to the spigot and washed all the mud out solving the problem. Just a reminder - if you are are working in soft mud in the winter you would be well served to wash, power wash if possible, any mud and snow away from the steering connections on your mobile equipment. 

BTW - mill feet will stick in the ice and frozen mud too if you dug them in and you have had rain or melting snow so you might be well served to put them on wooden blocks or such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Well, it wasn't today or yesterday. It was Saturday.
I fell down.
I twisted my ankle on some not flat surface and lost it while carrying a 1x6x16 over to the pile.
My right shoulder hit the ground hard and my right hand got bent backwards a lot but I didn't break anything other than my pride.
Not fun at all.
It took me a while to get up.
Lots of pain in the shoulder, but that's mostly normal, it was before I fell.

Jim Rogers
PS. I haven't told my wife.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Glad you're not hurt too bad.  That sounds like something she doesn't need to know.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: doc henderson on January 21, 2020, 09:53:38 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 21, 2020, 09:51:36 AM
Why would you?!   :D :D :D
If I did she'd most likely say: "that's high on the list of things you're not suppose to do......!"
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

samandothers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 21, 2020, 09:51:36 AM

Yep,  No broken bones, gashes, no big expense, no hospital visit required!  Meets the criteria of never happened.

boonesyard

I know better, but I did it anyway.

Never, ever set anything down close to the equipment tires. In a hurry, cut the timber, set the saw down, finish stacking, jump on the tractor, back up, oops (I think I used different words) :o. Maybe it'll cut beveled timbers...

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

doc henderson

at least no one was injured in the making of this movie.   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

That way you can make tight cuts without the motor blocking your view.  ;D  :D. 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WV Sawmiller

Looks kind of like an old Dizzy Gillespie trumpet. :D Sorry to see that but glad it is just property and no body parts involved.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

Pull the rope and see if it still runs. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

RAYAR

Ran over mine last summer and it looked worse than yours, bent and twisted bar. Also had to work on the chain brake and anti-vibe suspension of front handle bar. Spent a few hours at it but works and cuts like it never happened. No new parts either. ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

boonesyard

Luckily it's just the bar. 

My wife was the one that jumped in the tractor and backed up. When we saw it, she just glared at me from the cab as if to say "go ahead, I dare you, blame me". I set the saw down, my bad. :-*
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Ljohnsaw

My turn.  I was trimming off some extra metal from my log arch to lighten it up and getting ready for some paint touch up.  Using an angle grinder to take off a section of ΒΌ" plate.  I was cutting at mid-chest height.  Most of the way through and it caught or bound up a bit.  It kicked back and down and bounced off my thigh just above my knee.  Hit the ground and the 3/32" wheel exploded (no shrapnel injury, though)  That smarts, I thought, rubbing my thigh.  Weird, it didn't cut my pants there, just hurt like it got hit.  Really hurt.  Then I noticed the slice in my jeans about 6" higher.  I looked through the hole and said a Bandaid is not gonna fix this.  Off to the ER.

I almost took a before stitches picture to rival an MM post but didn't want to ruin anyone's breakfast or lunch.  It was a pretty gaping wound but only the skin was sliced and presumably instantly cauterized as there was very little blood.  Lets just say I'm not lean meat.  Three mattress stitches and eight regular.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sawguy21

:o I had cutoff wheels kick back, that could have been a lot worse!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

@ljohnsaw  many of us are on low carb. so a little fat and meat is OK.  it is "whats for dinner."!   :)

JJ

probably the motor housing hit you where you felt it, and didn't feel the wheel up higher :-[
glad your ok, will not take time to heal since you got stitched up quick, could of been quite bad just another 6" up .

boonesyard

At least it missed the important stuff  :). Glad it isnt any worse.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

SawyerTed

Dang it man!  I'm glad it's not worse and hope you have trouble free recovery and healing! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 31, 2020, 05:26:16 PMI almost took a before stitches picture to rival an MM post but didn't want to ruin anyone's breakfast or lunch.
This is not a contest John!!!   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

Wow very glad that wasn't worse. 

Thank You Sponsors!