iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another sad day on the farm

Started by DbltreeBelgians, January 18, 2020, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DbltreeBelgians

One of my favorite family pictures. Jake was all about it but as you can see Jed was less than impressed with having his picture taken. 
I'll always have the pride and great memories of my boys.

Brent

samandothers

moodnacreek

Men can get very attached to horses. I remember my grandfather borrowing a bulldozer when Tom died, our last work horse. I also remember a big man crying as he sold his last harness. He was way up in years and it was over for him owning horses.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 21, 2020, 12:44:40 PM
Men can get very attached to horses. I remember my grandfather borrowing a bulldozer when Tom died, our last work horse. I also remember a big man crying as he sold his last harness. He was way up in years and it was over for him owning horses.
I told the wife I got tons of harness and horse drawn equipment to sell.
I also got a baler, a rotary New Holland 254 Tedder/rake, 2 side delivery rakes including 1 horse drawn New Idea and a New Holland 1496 self propelled haybine and many bale wagons to sell. She snapped at me and said "just chill out and we'll see what happens this spring. Don't get your britches in a wad"!! I know time heals and now that I'm retired I have nothing but time. Yeah right!

Brent

Tin Horse

So sorry for your loss. We also have been though this a few times. It just gets harder. Keep your equipment. My Appaloosa is over 40 now. Didn't think he'd make through last winter. Sold all the hay equip. last spring and found a good home for our Arabian. We'd decided we were done.
Long story short we couldn't give up yet. Now still have our 2 plus a Quarter horse. ( wife is happy) Supplemental feed for the old one and the says he's gonna out live me. Now I get to buy hay. But we can't bare looking from the house and not see the horses. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

scsmith42

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on January 21, 2020, 02:54:21 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on January 21, 2020, 12:44:40 PM
I told the wife I got tons of harness and horse drawn equipment to sell.
I also got a baler, a rotary New Holland 254 Tedder/rake, 2 side delivery rakes including 1 horse drawn New Idea and a New Holland 1496 self propelled haybine and many bale wagons to sell. She snapped at me and said "just chill out and we'll see what happens this spring. Don't get your britches in a wad"!! I know time heals and now that I'm retired I have nothing but time. Yeah right!

Brent
Your wife is a wise woman...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

petefrom bearswamp

Condolences from Linda and I.
X2 on the wise wife
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ed_K

Well that brought lots of tears to my eyes. I had to make that call for our last dog. We've lost many animals over the yrs but this last one did me in. Told Rita no more dogs cats goats cows or fish. Just can't take. Truly sorry for your lost.
Ed K

ST Ranch

Brent, Jill and family.
Our heartfelt sympathy to your family, from my wife and I, fellow horse owners, whom have been down this same road too many times to remember. 

I too had a team of Belgians, Bud and Ben, long gone now, but still have a couple pleasure horses to keep us company.  

The feeling of loss does eventually subside, and yes we men can shed a tear or two. In fact this whole story appears to have brought back a lot of emotions [tears] for many forum friends. So many similar roads traveled and such kind wishes and understanding.

X3 on your wife's advise.  Also I really like love the family picture - a family of true horse lovers.

I am adding a couple sayings that I hope you like:

A Partnership - you and your horse, his strength and beauty, your knowledge and patience and determination and understanding. And love. That is what fuses you two into this marvelous partnership and makes you wonder , what can Heaven offer any better that what we have here on earth?  by "M. Dickens"

The best thing for the inside of a man [or woman] is the outside of a horse.  by "Lord Palmerston".

Tom and Arlene
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: ST Ranch on January 25, 2020, 07:39:24 PM
Brent, Jill and family.
Our heartfelt sympathy to your family, from my wife and I, fellow horse owners, whom have been down this same road too many times to remember.

I too had a team of Belgians, Bud and Ben, long gone now, but still have a couple pleasure horses to keep us company.  

The feeling of loss does eventually subside, and yes we men can shed a tear or two. In fact this whole story appears to have brought back a lot of emotions [tears] for many forum friends. So many similar roads traveled and such kind wishes and understanding.

X3 on your wife's advise.  Also I really like love the family picture - a family of true horse lovers.

I am adding a couple sayings that I hope you like:

A Partnership - you and your horse, his strength and beauty, your knowledge and patience and determination and understanding. And love. That is what fuses you two into this marvelous partnership and makes you wonder , what can Heaven offer any better that what we have here on earth?  by "M. Dickens"

The best thing for the inside of a man [or woman] is the outside of a horse.  by "Lord Palmerston".

Tom and Arlene
Wow thank you Tom and Arlene and all that have replied to this post. This is truly a wonderful family we have here in the Forestry Forum. 
Thank you Jeff for bringing us all together.

Brent, Jill, and Dani
Doubletree Belgian Farm

Thank You Sponsors!