iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding a buyer

Started by Don R, April 29, 2006, 09:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don R

I've been given a large pile of cedar. All down, but not cleaned. I thought I would bring a few guys with chainsaws, and my mill over to the job anc cut it on site for a few days. The problem is(and it's a good one I think) I can't use all that cedar in two lifetimes. How would I find a buyer for it before cutting in case they want different dimensions. Thanks Don

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

scsmith42

You might try placing an ad up at a local farmers market or contacting some fencing companies.

Cutting cedar give me a strong headache; you might want to wear a good dust or vapor mask when cutting. 

There is also usually a lot of waste with cedar, due to the irregularities in the logs.

Around here, 4/4 or 5/4 boards, 5" to 8" wide, and 8 - 12 feet long seem to move quickly. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

gary

I haven't sold much lumber but I have gotten good results with using our local internet want ads. I just sold about 1200 bft of mixed red oak,white oak and poplar yesterday. To one guy from one of these adds and the add was free. 

Don R

twoodward,, I imagine its red- It's the only cedar I know of here in Virginia. It has  great looking deep purple streaks throughout, and smells real good. I would have liked to bring a big chipper in for the branches and such, but don't know how to get rid of it at a reasonable profit. Thanks Don

Dale Hatfield

Find  a rustic  furniture builder. They might want half logs from post size stuff. Or they make Great small fence posts.
Red cedar is usually easy to sell.
One thing that might help is to offer it for sale in an area that has very little to small size cedar.

I drove to Akin S.C. to get a 4 logs that were over 24 inch's on the small end.
Chainsaw carvers love the wood.
Makes kool mantels. with   4 sides sawn and with live edges.
Don't just make lumber And Market what you make.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!