iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hang on Arky

Started by beenthere, April 10, 2008, 02:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

From the top of the dam.

Downstream look at the White River.  It is only a few miles until Table Rock Lake which is also at near record level.  Table Rock opened there flood gates also...I think Bull Shoals is at or close to flood stage.

Beaver Lake is the first impoundment on the White River and the smallest at 42,000 acres.  Although the smallest it is by far the deepest at 200 plus feet so the water makes a big splash when it comes through the flood gates.  The flood gates are 28' wide and 40' tall.  The corp opened all seven gates last night 9.5 feet.  When I took the pictures this morning they had shut the gates down to a 7 foot opening.  Besides water coming over the spillway they are running 9,000 cfs through the power house generating 125 mwh.  The lake hit a record of 1,132.15 feet above sea level.  Top flood pool is 1,130 feet.

In normal operation the flood gates are never opened.  Sometimes it will be many years between openings...this was my first time to see them opened up.  It was quite impressive.

It was also quite sad to see newer expensive houses flooded downstream.  I can't imagine building a home in a spot where flooding is inevitable.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

semologger

Larry I hope you dont have any plans on fishing at the spillway. You might try white water rafting though.

Warbird

Awesome pictures.  Thanks for sharing!  I bet it really loud!

Thank You Sponsors!