iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ridge vent for a shed? how to?

Started by rebocardo, April 13, 2008, 12:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

I know how to do ridge caps, but, how do you do it for a ridge vent?

Nail right through the plastic to the roof underneath to secure the cap while letting the shingles overhang the opening?

Is it a waste for a shed anyways? The woman wants it to last 20 years and since it was the roof that rotted (metal) away on the other shed, I thought I would build it slightly better.

Never used a roof vent before, I assume on a shed (7x8) 1" of space on each side of the ridge would be enough.

zopi

I never have liked peak vents...I'd put a wall vent in either end of the shed near the peak...I have had, ummm....difficulties with complicated roofs before...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Don P

If its insulated and there is the possibility of moisture up in the ceiling that needs to be vented to keep the insulation dry, then you should vent, otherwise I wouldn't. Each shingle over vent is a little different, instructions on the pack. 1" each side of the ridge is good.

rebocardo

No insulation and there where no instructions on the ridge vent either. At first the guy at Lowe's said they didn't carry them ... so, we pointed to a picture on the wall and asked him why does it have a part name and number next to the arrow then  :D  ::)   They seemed too  flimsy.

So, I am jut going to go with a vent on the back near the ridge and see how it goes and just do a cap of shingles.

Thanks!

mountaineer

lowes doesn't have ridge vents? does baskin robbins not have rocky road? :D :D :D

sawmilllawyer

rebocardo, put venta-ridge on my house 5 years ago. 1" gap should be good, put ridge down, then nail 1/3 of 3 tab shingles overlapping along it's lenght. Need intake vents on lower part of roof. Worked really well, in the summer can see the heat waves coming out of roof. House is a lot cooler.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!