iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elevated nature viewing shack

Started by Buck69, August 29, 2022, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck69

Hello everyone .
I am looking for some advice on materials for a elevated cabin of sorts. My friend has the post set and would like to build a 16x10 and wants me to saw the material for it.
He ask me for input on what species of trees he needs to harvest for it. He has mostly hardwoods from west central Indiana (oak ,limited ash ,cherry tulip poplar, locust, walnut. )
I was thinking oak or locust for floor joist rafters and tulip poplar for studs.
And white oak or white pine for board and batten siding. 
Would poplar be ok for the joists and rafters? We didn't discuss what roofing he planned to use, I'm guessing metal,but I would think it would be terrible noisy to set in during a rain. 
Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. 

Magicman

Tulip Poplar will also make B&B siding. 

Due to lightning possibilities, I would avoid being there when it was raining, but I would (and did) use metal roofing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

I would use slabs or first cuts for siding to give it a natural look

Buck69

I was thinking poplar wouldn't last  as siding, but I'll take you word 
MM. Will it need to be sealed with something or can it be left raw.I guess with it being off the ground the bottom of the siding will dry pretty quick after a rain.
It's only going to be about 10 to 15 feet to the floor. 

Rooster I have seen pics of a skinning,or butchering shed (maybe  a taxidermist shop)on this forum, where they used slabs or live edge for siding and it looked pretty good. If I can find the pic I'll show him.

Magicman

As with anything, turn the bark side in, bevel the bottoms ~30° creating a drip edge, and prevent roof spatter.  No stain nor sealer.

Here is one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!