iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Nother Hoss for da Farm

Started by Magicman, September 17, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I installed the "Pat's Easy Change System" today.  This is a quality setup and I'm gonna order one for the old John Deere.  I will also still use the Quick Hitch with the Bushhog, grader blade, & subsoiler but this "Easy Change"will make installing the Quick Hitch much easier for me.  

PatD took her first look at "Big O" today and I think she approved.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Now you will never get it back. smiley_hairbow smiley_gorgeous
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Don't let her park this one in the shade. 
HM126

caveman

I think you will like the new tractor.  The FEL and the 4wd are a game changer compared to a 2wd farm tractor.  I could not tell if you have the skid steer hook up for the FEL but if you don't it is a relatively inexpensive modification that will enable you to go from grapple to forks to bucket in a minute or so - much quicker than driving out pins.
Caveman

Magicman

It's the older Bushhog style system with spring loaded pins.  At this time a grapple is not in my plans so it will have to stay as is.  $$

I replaced the rotten shift boot so the tractor hydraulic fluid is contaminated.  :-X   I probably would have replaced it anyway so tomorrow all fluids/filters get changed.  Yup, probably to the tune of $350.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on September 22, 2019, 06:16:53 PM

tomorrow all fluids/filters get changed.  
Money well spent on that. I did that with the JD and Cat. Know what you have that way.  smiley_thumbsup

Even the hot rod  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Big O said that she was happy.  ;D  Me, a bit lighter in the butt log.  :-X

Raider Bill

Kubota is very proud of it's oil.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Yup, and I don't know why I didn't just get some 303 from NAPA.  Probably all came out of the same tank.  ::)

A new saddle for da hoss will be delivered by UPS today and a new floor mat should be here soon.  Gotta find some rattle grey paint.

samandothers

On the bright side if it had been hydrostatic it would have been about 12 gallons!  Good to do the fluids and filters so you have a 'clean' start.  Enjoy the new toy it will be a big difference with 4 wheel drive for traction and its increased lift ability.

Resonator

Be glad you didn't have to get the SUPER UDT, that stuff is liquid gold. ($$$ :o!)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

dirtmotor

Just changed hydro oil in my baby bota , yep the super was 103 dollars for 5 gallons they said gotta use it , I wonder ... You know the front  uses the same oil or 80 weight makes no sense to me .

Magicman

The new saddle came today so it got installed.  Also an "ammo box" which will be painted Orange and serve as a mini toolbox.  The new floor mat comes Friday.

I peeked in on a couple of Orange Forums today and read their responses regarding Kubota UTD tractor fluid.  There were arguments both ways and with some instances where dealers regularly use non-Kubota UTD.  My opinion is that with non-hydrostat setups it would be OK.  Of course there is a valid argument that since the fluid is only changed every 600 hours, bit the bullet.

Dave Shepard

TSC/Traveller Premium, meets Super UDT specs. $42/pail. I've put many pails  through my Kubota  L48 with no problems. I buy only Kubota filters, however. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on September 24, 2019, 08:00:00 AMYup, and I don't know why I didn't just get some 303 from NAPA

I run the TSC 303 in my old iron, buy a pallet of it every couple of years on Black Friday at $17 or so a pail, it has never caused me a problem, but I would not run it in something late model like your Bota there.  The new pumps have a lot tighter tolerances, more bushings, etc. and require the additives in the expensive formulas to last the test of time.  Of course if you are switching implements between tractors and they have hydro lines then you will have a contamination issue there due to the spit swapping.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

"Spit Swapping"!
Love the language and the image, but I never worried too much about it. There's just not enough oil in the grapple cylinder hoses and cylinders to cause concerns.
My Ford/NH/CASE just got all new oil in the front and rear diffs, transmission, anD front wheel finals. Four Ambra 18l. pails at $120 per pail. Add in motor oil change and filters (7 total) and like MM said; feeling kinda light in the butt log. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

You will enjoy the bota.
Only issues with min M8540 so far are cracks in the Titan front tires.
Could it possibly be from overloading the forks? Nah.
I used NAPA fluid and NAPA gold filters when I changed the fluid 2 years ago after Kubota frightened me with their prices.
No issues so far.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Pete,

I have cracks in my left wheel on my M5640SU.  Surely it could not be from overloading the forks moving logs that are just a mite too heavy ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

I have determined that overloading only occurs when I need to use 4wd to back up with the forks loaded.
Rear tires are loaded and the farmi winch on the rear weighs I think about 5-600#
the beast will go in my shop this winter for a complete service to start its light duty retirement of only skidding and hauling my firewood.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

blackfoot griz

Lynn, 
My guess is you'll wonder how you got along without it. I have a JD 4600 that is about the same size. I did change the mounting system from the factory JD fel mounts to universal skid steer types. I bought a set of used pallet forks and welded up a forklift attachment for the fel. Later, I modified the forklift attachment so that I could use it on the 3 point with a rear remote hydro.

Will Orange be going to saw jobs with your mill?

Magicman

I have no plans for Big O to travel to saw jobs, but I will now have that option, especially with having the pallet forks.  I have been asked in the past about providing loading/handling equipment but since I didn't have it, the answer was always no.

thecfarm

I think the answer should still be no. Would be a bother to haul it around. Yes,if the money is good. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I can think of several negatives right off.  If I am on the tractor then I am not sawing and I surely don't want someone else on my tractor. 

As I originally said, taking the tractor is not in my plans especially since I have never needed it in the past.  The main exception that I can think of was the sand box job.  Sharing a loader with builders was not a good situation. 

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

In addition to becoming an equipment operator instead of a sawyer you will now also be doubling your trips (one to take the tractor and another to take the mill) or buying some more heavy equipment to maintain - how big a truck does it take to haul a tractor and tow a sawmill at the same time or a second truck to haul the truck while you haul the mill so now you have employee/employer issues with a helper driving the other rig. Do you really want that at this stage of your life?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Great Grandson, Kole brought Marty by to visit "his" tractor.

He said "you do the driving and I'm gonna handle this FEL".

Outta my way, I'm headed in dat direction.

And then he let me use "his" tractor to disc the deer food plots today.  Kinda strange not to see the old John Deere pulling that disc, but I did do the subsoiling with the JD and it will also handle the seed/fertilizer distributor tomorrow.

Big O did very well today but there are differences.  More power but you gotta keep the RPM's up to stay in the torque curve.  Overhanging tree limbs also catch the exhaust.  Yup, I ran the FEL into two trees.  :-X

Thank You Sponsors!