iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wonder how old it is?

Started by Mooseherder, May 10, 2023, 08:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Found this today in the woods.  At first I thought it was a horseshoe.  A lil oil should bring it back.  :D

firefighter ontheside

I think its probably neolithic.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

The steel section that fits around a handle, is there an arc welded seam?  Always better to find something like that digging than poking through one of your tracks.

Southside

I can remember those being a treasure when I would find one. Honestly it doesn't look bad at all. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mooseherder

And the hook swings freely.  Somebody was bummed the day they laid it down.

peakbagger

I was at yard sale once and the guy had a pile of similar but far less rusted cant hooks, he picked them up in the woods near old logging camps pre WW2. A new ash handle costs about the same price as one with a hook. 

bluthum

For many old iron things a square nut rather than a hex nut is a date clue but that might not apply to cant hooks. Great score either way, old or new if it can be brought back to life.

Mooseherder

I'll check it out closer tomorrow.   Forgot all about it today.  It's leaning on a tree at the edge of the woods. :D

SwampDonkey

My wild guess is it's probably from the 60's. Lots of men in the woods cutting 4' fir pulp, loading a truck or pickup truck, transporting it to a siding and then off loading onto rail cars for a tidy sum of $20 a cord. Easier to handle a 4' stick by hand than a tree length stick. Look around some more, he probably left the pulpwood hook around there someplace. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I went back to get it today.  It was full of forest peat and when I cleaned it out the spike slid out freely.  

Old Greenhorn

You should be able to get a new handle from Peavy mfg. Co. In Maine. Would take some work to clean it up, but a nice wall hanger and a sweet find with the point. It might have been hanging off a sled and the handle caught a stump going by and snapped off. Or maybe the guy used it to beat off a bear and the rescue team just left it there when they dragged him out. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

The point is held in place by a hole in the handle. The point has to be driven in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

I just checked the Peavy company.  What they have looks exactly like this one still available. 
I'll turn a handle on my lathe this winter.

SwampDonkey

And to add, the point also acts like a wedge in an axe handle. A saw cut across the end hole to help snug the wood in the metal jacket. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!