iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone finding Morels yet?

Started by BW_Williams, April 23, 2003, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BW_Williams

Been out traipsing around a bit, but none here yet.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Tom

Yep, Bib has a story in the "Woods Walking" thread.   And he has a picture too. :)

Minnesota_boy

No morels here yet.  I think I have to wait until the frost is gone.  On Friday, one of the logs was still frozen to the ground. :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

johncinquo

You havent been looking for them very long, or at least asking that question.  Anyone who goes after the dang things never speaks a word about when, where, or how they find them.  darnedest secret society I have ever run into!    I'll just say I have been out after this rain we just got here in W MI.  Found a few, am hitting the "secret hot spot" tomorrow.  I can usually fill up a paper bag there with the big tan ones.   Good luck!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Bibbyman

Alex says;  "I found one!"

Or maybe you just ain't using enough gun???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

I am pretty new to mushrooming.
 What's your favorite way to prepare Morels?
 How many of you have ever come across a Fake Morel?

Mr Bibbyman
What loads do you use to hunt Morels?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

230 gr hard cast round nose .45ACP on top of 5gr Unique.

I find the flat nose bullet makes too big a hole.  But with the round nose bullet,  it'll make a nice small hole you that can eat right up to the edge of.  :D

I try to sneak up on them and snipe them off one at a time single action style.  But if they start to run,  I go double action on'em. The old 1917 S&W shoots right where it's aimed. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Bibb,

You could use those half-moon clips to hand er uh stem-cuff those pesky fungi. :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

BW_Williams

Nice pics Bib, my boys generally find the more than I do, because they are closer to the ground.  I prefer a 22 for Morels,  06 for the Kings! :D
John, couldn't even make it to my "secret" spot, to much snow.
Weekend, my favorite way to cook Morels is  fried in a little butter and a touch of Johhny's.  We have been drying them in our dehydrator and they reconstitute real well in sauces, like spahgetti and lazagna.  The false morel is easy to tell because the stem only attaches at the center of the cap, the true morels attach down the side and yes we find a few.
I've got to figure out how to post pics, we've found some keepers in the past.  BWW

Weekend_Sawyer

I have found a few false morals but no real ones. I'm still looking.

Tom

I am not much on mushrooming because we're a little afraid of it down here in Florida.  I was always told to leave them alone.  

That's not to say that I don't like them.  I do.   I wish I knew more but I don't won't to risk my life figuring out which ones I can eat safely and which ones will kill me.

Here is a site that helps to identify edible mushrooms.  I'm sure they would appreciate a disclaimer too.
Mushroom Identification

johncinquo

No luck on first trip out.  2nd trip about 70 blacks between 6 guys looking.   Late spring here for sure, and pretty dry til now.  A couple weeks and the tan ones will pop, then look out!  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

BW_Williams

My 10 year old found one this weekend, but it was wormy, then it snowed.  Go figure?  BWW

Weekend_Sawyer

Oh I'v got Morels! I had never tried them before this thread. I learned how to identify them and as I earlier stated the first thing I found was the False Moral. Last weekend Dad, my brother Chris and I went to our cabin in West Virginia's eastern panhandle. We were supposed to be turkey hunting but there was very little sign in the woods and all calls went unanswered. So we started hunting morels and man did we find them! Mostly Black Morels and some white ones. We only picked the firm ones. I carried them in a mesh onion bag which, I was told helped to knock off the little critters and then soaked them in salt water  which finishes off them little critters. We had them in venison stew, with garlic and butter over angel hair pasta, in scrambled eggs and I brought a bag home and my Dearest cousin Angie and her Husband Jeff cooked them in a  garlic wine sauce that was great.

I am now a man of Morels! 8)

BW_Williams

Weekend, glad to hear you've got it figured out.  We found about a half gallon in an hour last evening, it's just staring here!  On the way down the hill we were watching a herd of 10 Elk on the right and Bosslady looked left(she was driving) and there were 5 Mule Deer browsing about 20' from the rig.  One buck was already forked, he'll be a keeper I'm thinking!  BWW

whitepe

I found several shrooms on Sat. May 9th
real close to the house.  I wasn't originally
intending to go shrooming. The kid and his
friends (8th grade) were building a bridge
across the creek behind the house. I took them
some tools and found some on the way back to the
house.  I called Becky on the cell phone and asked her
to bring out a bucket.  I 2/3'rds filled a 2.5 gallon bucket.
Had some of them for dinner last night.  No one likes
them in my household except me.  :)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

BW_Williams

Nice score Whitepe!  I notice yours and Bibs are alot lighter in color I've found here in WA state.  Ours are dark brown, the same color as a Doug fir cone and that often causes false alarms!  I have some pics and will try to post.  BWW

OneWithWood

BW we have both varieties here in southern Indiana.  The black morels pop about a week to ten days before the yellow and grays.  Maybe you need to continue to look after the balcks are gone.  The yellows and grays are firmer and hold better.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I see they had a bunch of morels at our local fruit market yesterday. 20 bucks a pound!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RobK

Been awhile since I've been able to come `round here. It's good to be back.

I found two huge `uns growing out of the pea gravel on the play ground at church a couple of weeks ago. My in-laws have been finding plenty in their woods though.

-Rob

L. Wakefield

They say to help propogate them you take the wash water and throw it back out where they like to grow. Any spores may be helped along that way. i don't know about the SALT water, tho. They supposedly like elm and wood ash- and there was something else but I don't remember what it was..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

whitepe

LW,
10-4 on the elm-ash. That's where I found all of
mine among the dead elms and living ash trees.
 :)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

BW_Williams

Hey LW, glad to see you're back.  Do we get a report from you journey or is that in another thread.  We had 2 brush fires on Tuesday, hit em hard and they were both under an Acre.  It's drier than it looks around here.  
Jeff, I've seen Morels for sale in that price range also, but for the time involved, I think profits are low.  BWW

Jeff

I am at both ends of the 20 dollar price. No way in heck am I paying 20 a lb for shrooms, and if I had some, no way in heck am I selling em for only 20 a lb. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Earlier they were at $30.00/lb, then $20.00/lb. and now I'm seeing them at $10.00/lb. around here. There seems to be a heavy crop this year and a lot of heavy picking.

Found a "bunch" of them last week in an aspen area we harvested last year at this time.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!