iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

remove expansion foam from door

Started by sbishop, January 04, 2009, 02:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, i notice i have some dry expansion foam on the side of my door on the house...been there for a while i guess. Anyone have any ideas on what to use...it's baked on there pretty good. I've tried a product called "googone" but it didn't work!

i've also tried a plastic scraper..no luck!

Thanks

Sbishop

Gary_C

I can't help much with the removal other than a knife, but my question is what is the brand of that product? I could sure use some good weatherproof foam that will stick like that.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Might try the "purple primer" stuff used to clean pvc pipe. Just a guess, but it is some potent stuff. Be careful it doesn't ruin the door finish beneath.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

forgot to mention, it's a metal door....not that helps  :(

what about versal or paint thinner? think it would ruin the finish?

i've seen somewhere else that someone recommend purple primer so didn't say if it worked or not!

Sbishop

Reddog

Acetone will melt most plastics so you can wipe them off.
But most finishes have plastic in them also. So it is hard to stop before removing the finish.

sbishop

tried some nail polish removal....no go!

Kevin

DAP is water based.
Do you know what brand it is?

sbishop

white can with some green.....was 4 years ago  ::)

florida

Any chemical that will remove it will also remove the paint from the door. Mechanical scraping or light sanding will work.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Rocky_J

Yup, a stiff 1" putty knife and a hammer.  ;D

farmerdoug

If it is not very thick try a product called 'Clay Magic'.  It is used in detailing cars and is safe on painted surfaces.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

pappy

WD 40,, I used it to take the stick'em off my snowmobile when I removed the registration stickers. didn't hurt the finish...  8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ScottAR

If any chemical is gonna do it... 3M adhesive remover.  Any good parts house or
auto paint store should have it...  $10-$15 a quart.   

I suspect that will be ineffective.   Sand it off and repaint. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

DouginUtah

The Great Stuff web site claims there is no solvent that will remove the dried foam.  :(
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Woodchuck53

Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

isawlogs

It will wear off ... so sand it off. There aint nothing I have seen to remove it . Either you cut it off .. or you sand it off .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ely

the can i used on some water pipes in my travel trailer/house said on the side if you got it on your skin it would do you no harm but it would eventually wear off. it did after about 10 days. the best thing is my pipes don't freeze anymore.
i think the rest are correct, it is mechanical removal to get the stuff off.

Thank You Sponsors!