iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Man......What a place for a Nest.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 10, 2013, 09:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think it's a Wren. I have an empty box of nails up on the shelf at the mill. In that box is a smaller box of 16d nails.....just a few nails though. I kept seeing a bird flt in and out as I was milling. Low and behold, Mamma has a very nice secluded nest. Look close and you can see the white eggs in the nest. Unreal.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Last year in my tractor shed a pee wee built a nest on top of 2 of my chain saws chains boxes. I did not need a chain,good thing. I would of went and brought another one. I did feel bad coming in after dark. The boxes was only 5 feet off the ground and she had to fly away every time I came in. It was neat watching her youngins grow up. I even got the first flight of one of them. I was working out by the driveway and saw something come from that direction,real low and flying real odd,all over the place. It almost clipped my knee on the way by. I went and checked and the nest was empty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Poston
Must have moved the box to take a pic? It is in the shade on a shelf the first pic, and in the sun in the third with dirt in the background.  ??  just curious........

OK
got my bearings, and see the sequence. Puzzled by the sun... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy19

I love wrens, they are bug eating machines. The cactus wrens in Arizona are something else to watch. One of my favorite birds for sure.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

clww

I thought all the wrens were in your hornets nest?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on April 10, 2013, 11:08:24 PM
I thought all the wrens were in your hornets nest?

The Hornet Wrens are at home......these are the VERY rare, Nail Wrens.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

:D

I had a robin build a nest over a window ledge last summer. The real goofy part of it is the lead in wire comes by this window and usually a kestrel sitting on it. I have seen those things grab a few robins for lunch over the years. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Every year robins build at least 2 nests in my mill shed.
The poor darlins fly in and out after the chicks hatch while I am running the mill.
I try to shut down a few times a day as well as lunch time so the nestlings can get some food.
Years ago a robin built a nest on the outdoor floodlight on the back of my 32x70 shop.
I saw it but forgot about it until fall.
one evening  after the light had been on for a couple of hours I closed up shop for the day..
When I walked out the door on my way to hunting camp the next morning I saw a red glow coming from the rear of the building.
The resulting fire was extinguished by me using the garden hose, but the toes of my snowshoes and 1 tip of 2 pairs of XC skiis were burned out.
I was very lucky.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Thankfully I finally got the door hung on my Cabin Addition.  The wrens or sparrows or whatever kept trying to build a nest in the fiberglass insulation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Its heck when even the birds put pressure on ya like that.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

I had a mother sparrow try and build a nest inside the cabin last spring as we were still putting up the second story walls. On the header above the stairs to the basement. I had to take her nest-in-progress down three times before she got the hint. IF she'd been a Carolina Wren, she could have stayed. They're my favorite birds. Always seem happy, industrious, and hard-working little guys, plus they seem to like being around humans.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

This nest gets used every year and gives me plenty of enjoyment while doing dishes. The nest is on the backside of the mud room and the birds don't get bothered by anything. I have pictures of them eating and taking their first flights.
Allan

SwampDonkey

Used to be here by the hundreds, but one cold May with snow wiped them out back in 1996. We only see 2 or 3 pairs around now in summer. We have a lot more tree swallows. They used to give the cat a good time, dive bombing the cat. :D In the deep woods, any bridge over a stream had them to or fishing camps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

And those are the "galvanized" nail wrens. Even more rare ;D

SPIKER

I usually like to keep the Wrens around myself but the dang Robins and Starlings just love to land on and dump on everything.   My passport has big mirrors and they coated both doors by setting on the mirrors and turning & dropping down the sides.   

The Starlings build nests in the pole barn fascia so I bought a accurate pellet gun 3 seasons ago.   the Starlings wise up REAL fast the robins not so much.

I also have a bunch of Blue Birds and some Martins all welcome and spoiled with built nests boxes. ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

submarinesailor

When I first saw this post, I had just finished raeding this on-line article:  http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/1366/20130413/millions-wasps-22-foot-nest-found-abandoned-home-photo.htm.  So guess what my first thought was. :o :o :o ;D :D

Bruce

clww

No wonder that place was abandoned! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!