iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Newbie Question - Anchorseal

Started by bee_pipes, November 04, 2005, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Once the end splitting starts, you can't stop it without making a new cut.  If the big mills aren't sealing, you can bet somebody is paying for the degrade.  Perhaps there is a cutoff where certain woods can justify it.   Daren has some right now that was worth sealing.

Mike_Barcaskey

I don't use it much, the two mills I usually sell to just want the logs 4 to 6 inches longer
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

UNCLEBUCK

I am back to end sealing for hardwoods , just too much end check and 8'-6" board has to be reduced a foot off each end .

Going to try this 2nd coating idear .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

bedway

tom,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you for the info.,,bedway

gary

Yes I lose some wood. By the time the logs get to me it is to late to put anything on them.  Most of the time I am cutting logs that are 15 to 20 feet long so I have room to cut the ends off after it dries. I do tell customers about it and recommend it to them if it is going to be a while before they get them milled. Most of them see the price and don't get it.

tcsmpsi

Thanks, gary.

As mentioned, I saw that the checking starts most promptly.  Not meaning not to end seal, just wasn't able to on this last batch. 

One of the things I had wondered, was whether sealing the ends inherently creates any other problems within the log.

It has been unusually wet for this time of year, here.  This stack is setting about a month longer than I anticipated.  One thing has become apparent.
I believe the sawyers will have all my bark separated for when the mill arrives.  ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!