iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what the 'yota dragged home . . .

Started by MemphisLogger, May 13, 2005, 05:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

F-600, I6 300, NP435 4 speed and it came with all the dents it ever needs.  ;)

We're going to look at a Prentice loader next week  ;D 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Larry

I think it is a Dang good idea.  The neighbor farmer/logger has got a regular deal going with the tree service guys.  He picks up a lot of big logs they can't handle with his 10 wheeler and knuckle boom...for a fee.     
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

MemphisLogger

Quote from: Larry on May 13, 2005, 06:12:27 PM
I think it is a Dang good idea.  The neighbor farmer/logger has got a regular deal going with the tree service guys.  He picks up a lot of big logs they can't handle with his 10 wheeler and knuckle boom...for a fee.     

My cousin/jr partner Austin bought the truck. His plan is to bring us home the good logs as the arborists put 'em down and work it on the side doing hauling for the ones that don't have their own trucks.

He'll likely be so busy he won't be around to help me saw  :-\
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

UNCLEBUCK

Hey I like that ! Congrats to you too !   ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DR Buck

Hey Scott,

What year is that thing?   It looks a lot like my 1974 F500.   I have a 12' flat bed dump on mine.   I need to rig it to pull the log trailer, which has the loader.   Right now I just use it here on the farm.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DanG

Scott, I gotta admit, I made up my response to this based solely on the title.  I was gonna say, "Scott, you gotta get you a real truck!"  I see, however, that you did.  Maybe ya oughta get it running before you put the loader on it, though. :D :D  Congrats on the find!  Looks like it has a heap of work left in it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brucer

So that's why it's called a Tow-yota.

Sorry, couldn't resist  :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sawguy21

Good thing you did not try to stop in a hurry ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I dont know why, but that photo reminds me of the one time I got kicked out of autoshop class. I guess I caught Mr. Hagan in a foul mood.  He yelled at me. "BROKAW! Why are you dragging that chain?  I replied "Have you ever tried to push one?"  He didnt find it funny. :-\

I guess I find it unusal to see that Ford pushing a Toyota down the street with a pull strap. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MemphisLogger

Now for the true tale of the Ford pulling Tow-Yota . . .

Austin went to look at it last Wednesday, drove it around the previous owner's lot and thought it ran decent--all it seemed to need was a new gasket on the carb and some patching on the exhaust.

On Thursday, we got a call to come pick up 2 nice straight 10' logs from a Red Oak measuring 50" DBH so Austin decided we needed the Ford.  :)

We ran down to MS where the Ford was, made the deal and went to the closest gas station to top off the fluids before driving it home. Everything looked fine so we headed straight for the logs. 

Unfortunately, about a block away from the logs, the plate/bearing cup that keeps the secondary shaft in the transmission broke at the flanges--right in the middle of one of our 3 lane Parkways during the beginning of rush hour traffic  :( :o

Austin tried grinding 1st and 2nd gear to get it out of the road and finally got it moving, though very noisily, in 3rd gear.

Since we were only a block away, we went over to the job site where the trees were to let them know we wouldn't be taking them. The crane operator asked how we were going to get the Ford back to the shop and when we told him we'd be towing it with the Tow-Yota, he suggested that we tow it over to the job site first, let him load the logs (at least 12,000 lbs) and then tow the whole kit and kaboodle home.

While the Tow-Yota didn't do too bad pulling the Ford all by itself, I think we may have had a braking problem if we'd had them logs on it.  :-\

I'm just sorry we didn't get the logs--they were beautiful, all 2000 bf of 'em  :'(   

;D 

Quartlow

Quote from: UrbanLogger on May 14, 2005, 11:00:37 AM

While the Tow-Yota didn't do too bad pulling the Ford all by itself, I think we may have had a braking problem if we'd had them logs on it.  :-\

I'm just sorry we didn't get the logs--they were beautiful, all 2000 bf of 'em  :'(   

;D 

ARGH!!! Matey, no guts no glory!!! Besides it wood have made a much better story!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

firtol88

Funny I helped a friend move a piano today (old player piano) his 4runner had a hard time cracking 35mph :o on the two hills we went over. Comical part is that we had my F-150 and two F-250s following him :D well he had the trailler on his truck when we loaded it.  :)

There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

MemphisLogger

Quote from: firtol88 on May 14, 2005, 10:54:37 PM
Funny I helped a friend move a piano today (old player piano) his 4runner had a hard time cracking 35mph :o on the two hills we went over. Comical part is that we had my F-150 and two F-250s following him :D well he had the trailler on his truck when we loaded it.  :)

He probably has one of those wimpy V-6s in his Landcruiser--our Yotas have the much better I-4s  :)

Quartlow,

I'd a gone for it but the homeowner was dubious  ::) 

SwampDonkey

Urban,

Ya gotta admit with a loaded truck calved in the middle of his yard it might raise some questions in his mind. It would make for a spectacle at the very least, with you attempting to haul the loaded FORD with the whine-ota. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!