iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

american bandsaw mill

Started by Watrboyo1, September 03, 2020, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watrboyo1

Looking to purchase my first mill and going for the American Bandsaw 36" full hydraulic.  Seems to be a great built mill(im a novice and have never owned one) but looking at the specs, the material, it looks like an awesome mill.  Also the fact all 99% of parts can be picked up at local hardware store.  Talked to 2 people on the FacePage about the mill and they absolutely love it, one was previouse ezboardwalk owner and other woodmizer lt15 owner and both loved the American.  Anyone on here any experience. 
Live for the outdoors

Gere Flewelling

Pretty blue color.  Looks like an awful lot of pillow block bearings.  I have heard from several sources that pb bearings won't tolerate the excessive side load caused from tensioning a bandsaw blade.  Maybe using four together compensated for that.  I am sure they have done extensive testing.  I would certainly want to see one operate prior to purchase.  I hope it works out well for you. smiley_smug01 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

welderskelter

Never heard of an American mill. But in support of pillow block bearings I would have to say they would be the best as they are usually quick to change and they are used with side pull on about all applications. I used them building my mill and am quite happy.  I used 2  PB bearings on my mill for each wheel and they are about 18 in. apart on 1 and a half in. shaft. Farm machinery of all kinds use them extensively. Also use lots of them in the oilfield. Hope you have as much fun as I have with mine. Go for it.

GF what other kind of bearing would you use or what kind is on your mill? I am not trying to be smrt here, I am just trying to help and also learn. Thanks

Gere Flewelling

I don't think the actual bearing is the issue.  It is the cast housing that would crack due to the side load stress. I have a Cook's mill.  They use tapered cup/cone bearings on the drive wheel and what looks to be a double roller bearing on the tension wheel.  From what I have viewed on their YouTube videos and read in their brochures, they explain that cast pillow block bearings tend to fail eventually due to the excessive side load charactistics fund on these types of bandsaw mills.  It was info like this that helped me settle on one of their mills a few years ago.  I have observed the side stress produced when the saw starts into the cut and when sawing into a hard pine or hemlock knot and can see where it produces quite a shock on the band.  Clearly that shock radiates back to the bearings.  After time it must take its toll on the bearings and especially the mounts.  These are just my observations and opinions. Please note that I am not an engineer but I do feel I have some amount of common sense in this area.  I also feel it is important to admit I could be wrong if proven so.  I will get off my soap box now.  

welderskelter

I picked up a lot of info from the Cooks mill. But the short shaft does or would cause a lot of stress on the bearings. Thats why I went with the long shaft to place the load only on the center of the bearing. Not that Cooks way isnt good, I just think this is better and I feel like I have an easier way to adjust my wheels.....

KenMac

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 06, 2020, 02:08:53 PM
I don't think the actual bearing is the issue.  It is the cast housing that would crack due to the side load stress. I have a Cook's mill.  They use tapered cup/cone bearings on the drive wheel and what looks to be a double roller bearing on the tension wheel.  From what I have viewed on their YouTube videos and read in their brochures, they explain that cast pillow block bearings tend to fail eventually due to the excessive side load charactistics fund on these types of bandsaw mills.  It was info like this that helped me settle on one of their mills a few years ago.  I have observed the side stress produced when the saw starts into the cut and when sawing into a hard pine or hemlock knot and can see where it produces quite a shock on the band.  Clearly that shock radiates back to the bearings.  After time it must take its toll on the bearings and especially the mounts.  These are just my observations and opinions. Please note that I am not an engineer but I do feel I have some amount of common sense in this area.  I also feel it is important to admit I could be wrong if proven so.  I will get off my soap box now.  
Mr. Soap Box,
 I agree with your logic and reasoning. Just supporting a fellow Cook's owner! 8)
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Gere Flewelling

Welderskelter, I am glad for you that you have figured out a way to successfully make the pillow block bearings work for your mill.  It only goes to prove that there are many ways to saw a straight board.  For Watrboyo1, I again wish you luck with your American Bandsaw Mill purchase. I look forward to hearing of your adventures with the new mill. :)

Watrboyo1

thanks for the responses, and im not sure about the bearings, I am very novice, but also am very capable of fixing/improving equipment once I get used to it.  Thanks again guys
Live for the outdoors

Thank You Sponsors!