iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long bar for chainsaw milling: 3/8 or .404

Started by mredden, November 04, 2020, 12:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mredden

I have 3/8 bars from 16" to 42".

About to buy a long bar to run on a 3120 (At least 56" probably 60"). May buy a 72" down the line.

With longer bars, is there a substantial benefit to switching to .404 when milling?

sawguy21

The 3120 is a powerful saw but there are limits to what it can do. 3/8 and lots of oil are in order here. What are you milling that you would want a 72" bar?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brad_bb

I run a 56" bar with a Stihl 090.  I have .404 rip chain (from Grandberg Intl.) for Chainsaw milling- assuming that's what we're talking about.  Not familiar with your saw, but I'd think as  you step up in saw size and length, you'd also need to step up in chain.  Takes more power to pull a longer chain in contact with more wood in my opinion.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mredden

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 04, 2020, 02:01:03 PM
The 3120 is a powerful saw but there are limits to what it can do. 3/8 and lots of oil are in order here. What are you milling that you would want a 72" bar?
Occasionally, big Live Oak trunks 48" with swells. There are plenty around here that are larger, but most people protect those - as they should. However, there are some still down in the rural ares from the 2018 Hurricane Michael
More frequently pecan up to 38". Can't mill over about 35" with my 42" bar. I run the clutch oiler wide open and use an auxiliary nose oiler.
Two of the hardest woods in the US.
I live in pine country. The city and older suburbs are full of huge old pines over 36". Heck. I've got three that big in my yard. Unfortunately, they are in awkward locations with a big chance of dropping on my neighbor's or my house. Gotta hire somebody INSURED to top & drop them. About 5 years ago a bad wind storm blew a 36 inch pine over and took out power for the neighborhood and snatched my power off the side of my house. That was when I began to learn how to seriously use a chainsaw. None of the mills or even wildcatters will take logs that big, so I may end up milling them myself. Ugh, I hate pine sap.

offrink

Stihl 880 here and run upto a 72" bar. If you are milking that big you will want a larger powerhead and the 404 chain. 

terrifictimbersllc

You're going to have to go with what bars and chain you can actually buy. That long it will probably be 404/063.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mredden

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 04, 2020, 07:45:55 PM
I run a 56" bar with a Stihl 090.  I have .404 rip chain (from Grandberg Intl.) for Chainsaw milling- assuming that's what we're talking about.  Not familiar with your saw, but I'd think as  you step up in saw size and length, you'd also need to step up in chain.  Takes more power to pull a longer chain in contact with more wood in my opinion.
I don't think anybody can disagree that it takes more power. I have been running a 390xp up until now, It was great with a 32" bar. Didn't mind the 36" bar, but the 42" was pushing it too far. After pushing it too far enough times, I took the plunge and picked up the 3120.

So far, I have only used the 3120 for bucking, but it is now broken in and the South Georgia temperature has dropped enough to resume milling. Time to put the big dog to its intended use.
I'm probably gonna pick up some Granberg ripping chain too.

So far, I have been using 15 degree regular or skip chain that I have only filed back to about 20 degrees thus far. Is the Granberg chain semi or full chisel? If full chisel, is it round file or square file? I have never square filed.

mredden

Quote from: offrink on November 05, 2020, 09:49:01 AM
Stihl 880 here and run upto a 72" bar. If you are milking that big you will want a larger powerhead and the 404 chain.
The power differences between an 880 and a 3120 are minimal.
What are the advantages of .404 milling?

Thank You Sponsors!