Started by Wayniac, December 15, 2020, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayniac

whats the fastest and easiest way to do ship lap on a lot of boards
wayniac

btulloh

- Moulder.

- Shaper with a power feeder.

Chamfer or no chamfer?  With no chamfer, the table saw with a dado blade will work.  Power feeder makes things faster and better - table saw or shaper.

HM126

Durf700

Southside

On the SLR that would actually be clapboard.  Shiplap has a tongue and either half or full groove with a "nickel gap" reveal.  We make a lot of it on the 4000 moulder, would not want to do it any other way.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

I face joint one side, thickness plane, and joint one edge.  Jointer has a power feeder.  Next step is to run the jointed edge through the shaper than do the second edge which also sizes the blank.  I climb cut on the shaper at 72 feet per minute.  Goes fairly fast.

Having said that, you might want to see what a mill work shop would charge if you have a lot. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

I do about 10000 ft a month on my 4 head planer. I think what you are asking about is what I call tapered lap siding. For that I cut the boards at 1 1/8 thick then take them to my resaw with the feed table set at a angle and just feed the boards through. Gives me a 1/4" on one edge and 5/8 to 3/4" on the other edge. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Gary Davis

not the fastest way but I used a router to do about  20 boards 

Wayniac

thanks for the replies that give me something to think about
wayniac

Thank You Sponsors!