iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, thanks

Started by Colin52, April 10, 2021, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin52

Hey fellas, I usually find my way to reading threads on here looking for how to do certain things, so I figured I would sign up and be able to ask questions and share photos.  

Currently homesteading on 80 odd acres in the ozarks.  Main project right now is a piece en piece building, starting with a goat shed, then a storage shed, then something larger if that goes well.  I have a lot of trees, some are even straight, but not many really large ones.  Property was selectively logged for those.  I figure the piece en piece will allow me to find enough usable timber in small lengths.  Another main reason is it will be much easier to haul short and somewhat lighter hewed pieces through my hilly woods, filled with boulders and lots of edge rock and creeks.  

I figure to need advice from time to time, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself.  

I have a few years to build several buildings, pathways, and some fun pieces like gazebos and pergolas.  I have alot of hand tools, and two tempermental chainsaws that haven't ended up in the creek yet, but may not last the week.  I've made some mortice and tenon joints of good size for small animal buildings, hewed beams and built doors, but still pretty new to forestry and carpentry.  I've cut down lots of trees in the past working on a farm, and clearing out blowdowns from grass fields in oregon, but these were usually oak and I'm trying to get the hang of tree identification.  

Thanks to all for all the good advice and tips I've already gotten on here.  I hope to have projects to share from time to time, probably some that turned out well and some that might be worth a chuckle or two.  

LIL

:)

Guess you know already to stop and sit a while.  The others will be along shortly to say hi and welcome you I'm sure. 

Welcome to the FF 

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

HemlockKing

Colin, welcome to the forestry forum of good comradery!
A1

dgdrls

Don P

Cool, looking to see how it turns out. We need to move some old log barn logs out of the new(er) barn at work and have thought about recycling them into a 3 sided piece en piece blacksmith shop.

Texas Ranger

Welcome from Texas, although I am an old Ozark boy myself.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Colin52

Thanks everybody!
Is there a good way to tell if a chainsaw has been overheated?  Asking for a friend...

samandothers

Welcome sir!  Look forward to your adventures and the build.  I can't help on the saw question. Good luck with the cranky or maybe 'un-cranky' saws.

Colin52

Quote from: samandothers on April 12, 2021, 08:15:19 AM
Welcome sir!  Look forward to your adventures and the build.  I can't help on the saw question. Good luck with the cranky or maybe 'un-cranky' saws.
Thanks, I'm going to need it.  Its a husqvarna 365, and it just doesn't seem as powerful as I was expecting.  

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF. 
It would be great if you fill out your info , so when you post , it helps others answer your questions as they understand your equipment and location.
Cheers
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tacotodd

What are you doing with the 365 that might make it not powerful enough? If you're using it to mill, then that's another life all it's own! The size of the lumber for milling is limited.

What is the "other" saw? I'm wondering if it's somehow just a tune issue.

Just sayin...
Trying harder everyday.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Colin52!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

You can do a compression test on the saw and remove the muffler to check the piston for signs of over heating.

Lots of other things can effect the power output, dirty air filter, fuel filter, muffler screen, air leaks, carb adjust.....

firefighter ontheside

Welcome aboard Colin.  I'm about 30 miles south of St Louis.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum. Best cure for a saw that doesn't seem powerful enough is buy a bigger one!😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!