iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

You are not a butthead, but it is for air drying wood. Get's it up out of the way, whereas a stack would take up usable space.   ;)

Also a good way to introduce decay...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rasman57

Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 04:27:35 PM
Not to come off like a butthead, but what's the point of a pergola?  Why not put some tin on top so when it rains you can hang out without getting wet!

Offers some shade in an outdoor open air deck environment.   Often built where a pitched roof would not be practical.   Some folks want the air flow, sun and deck ambience without the roof.   

4x4American

It looks great, don't get me wrong...but I'm a practical guy, this doesn't make sense to me I say it looks like someone was building a roof then went to the bar for lunch and didn't come back :D 

He did a great job.  I'm sure the ladies of the establishment love it too.

Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, I posted some pictures of some large pine slabs that my customer made into some tables.

Saturday, I got to visit the farm where the tables were being used.

Here is a shot of the table.

Her worker who made these up for her took one slab and cut it in half to make two bench seats for this table:

I asked how did he attach the top to the base of the table. She said on one table he hollowed out the round spots where the post of the legs touch the table to make an indent for the leg post to sit into. Then I believe he used some screws to secure the top to the base. I believe he did that up from the bottom so that there are no holes through the table top. He didn't do that until it was on site, so that they could move them in two pieces, the top and the base.

Here is another picture of the base of another table:

It's great to see the final product in place being used.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MSSawmill

Quote from: JohnM on August 15, 2015, 10:09:54 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 15, 2015, 09:09:28 AM
I thought using 8x8's for braces was a little "over the top" but to each their own.

Jim Rogers
Agreed, it looks great and well built but too 'heavy' IMO.
All that matters is that mama's happy!  :)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Magicman

I like the table and benches Jim.  There is great satisfaction in seeing a final product/use.  I very seldom get to see that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NH-Murph

Wow!  You fellas sure have some talented customers!  It has to be pretty neat to see the product you produce transform into so many neat things.  I really can't wait until I have enough pennies stacked up to buy a mill of my own!  My dad and soon to be father in law are both very talented carpenters and woodworkers.  They both have about 2 years till retirement.  I am looking forward to keeping them stocked up with lumber for their projects!

nas

Had a customer use Ash that I sawed to rebuild the water wagon for his steam traction engine.  I also supply the firewood to run the engine 8)

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

drobertson

nice wagon, that had to be a good show to visit,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

Over the weekend I got some photos of several projects some customers of mine did.

They were tool customers and had brought timber framing tools from us to use to cut timber frames.

The first one is this little frame cut for a wedding:

And:

And a nice corner joint:

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

The second set of photos were sent to me didn't download correctly from my mail server. However the customer did provide me with a link.
I don't think posting links to off site pictures are allowed. So I won't post it.

I can capture one and post it here:

This fellow is in TX.

He is a member or staff of "Mobil Loaves and Fishes"
An outreach organization for Austin, TX.

Here is a little about their efforts:

Mobile Loaves & Fishes, Inc. began when five parishioners of St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Austin, Texas boldly answered God's call to "Love your neighbor as yourself." Alan Graham and his friends began delivering meals out of the back of a minivan to men and women they found living on the streets of their city. Alan readily admits that their original paradigm of serving the homeless had some flaws, but with the help of a formerly homeless man, they perfected the model that we successfully use today.

To learn more about them here is a link to their site:
http://mlf.org/

But, anyway they needed a building for their organization. And they figured it would be nice to build one themselves. And in doing so teach homeless (and others) a skill or craft that they could use. So they chose a timber frame.

I don't exactly remember all the details of what they are going to use the building for. It could be to host classes or for other reasons.

But they wanted me to see what the tools they purchased from us did to help them achieve their goals.

Jim Rogers

garre1tt

No Pics yet but met what turns out to be a very nice young couple.
Got the order for 100 bf consisting of 51-3/4'x3'x8' and 31-3/4"x6"x 8'.  They didn't give a preference for species so I cut it out of Grand Fir.

Their area code was out of state and they said they would be by Monday evening to pick it up.
First it was at 5,  then it was just late then it got dark.  Started to worry about them so sent a text and they had broke down and couldn't find the other place they were picking up stuff from.  I had given up and wished them luck.

Got a text a 10:30 saying they would be there in 30 mins.  Reluctantly I said come and get it.
When they showed up in the old beat up Doge it was packed full with a 1 ton bag of feed grain and 30 spit cedar fence posts.
in the cab was a young man in his early twenties and his fiancé sitting up tight next to him.  Brought me back 25 years in a hurry when we were eager to make it own our own.
They had driven over 300 miles picking up their Craig's list bargains and still had 3 hour drive home and work the next day.

That young man impressed me as he arranged then stacked everything in the back and strapped it all down tight.
I gave him an extra inexpensive strap I had just to make me feel a little better for their trip home.

I wished them the best but I think they will be just fine.

Woodmizer LT 40, 1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, massey ferguson 245 tractor, Stihl 084,066,036,370,290,018
Past owner of WoodBug CSM, Alaskan CSM,1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, Lucus 6-18 Stihl 064, Stihl 084

thecfarm

Love and being together will get them far.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No need for a camera because you drew a nice picture garre1tt.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MSSawmill

This is a table built by uncle for one of his daughters. All of it is red oak from an ancient oak tree that grew behind the house he was raised in. The tree had several problems, so he had it taken down and had as much of it as he could cut up into logs. Dad and I cut the logs into 1" boards with 1 "live edge", and my uncle has had them air drying for about a year now. I didn't get to see the table before he took it to my cousin, but he said the grain and coloration were just beautiful! Hopefully it's something that she will enjoy for years to come...

Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Jim_Rogers

Thursday, I traveled to VT from the western side of my state. At a rest area building on RT 91 northbound, I saw this neat 6x6 block bench:

Also, I saw this little side table made out of a small piece of round edge slab:

On the other side of the room was this table to stand at and charge your cellphone.

It has a black power strip on both upright pieces. I can see that this table may have been made from one long piece cut into three pieces.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

I see that the state is really into the woodsie decor.  Good for them.  Many travelers will see those and "want one". 8)

Jim_Rogers

While delivering some walnut lumber today to a customer he showed me what he was working on.
He is making wooden finger rings, and some wooden bracelets called bengals or bandgals ?

That one didn't fit me.

And the medium size ones are napkin rings.

Was interesting seeing how he glued up different color woods to make these.

Jim Rogers

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Magicman on September 23, 2015, 10:15:41 PM
No need for a camera because you drew a nice picture garre1tt.   smiley_thumbsup
thats what i was thinking  a great story that was well told :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jim_Rogers

This morning I got an email with some pictures of some "log/stumps" that I sold a fellow who wanted to make "end tables" out of them.

I think they came out nice:

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Yes they did.  Sending the pictures also says that your customer was well pleased.  I love happy customer$.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 31, 2016, 04:13:13 PM
Thursday, I traveled to VT from the western side of my state. At a rest area building on RT 91 northbound, I saw this neat 6x6 block bench:

Also, I saw this little side table made out of a small piece of round edge slab:

On the other side of the room was this table to stand at and charge your cellphone.

It has a black power strip on both upright pieces. I can see that this table may have been made from one long piece cut into three pieces.

Jim Rogers
Hey-I've stopped there many times and taken pics of the woodworking, very inspiring.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 04:27:35 PM
Not to come off like a butthead, but what's the point of a pergola?  Why not put some tin on top so when it rains you can hang out without getting wet!
It's to put your sawmill under when you no longer have one.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Ahh...

I made me a study on them,
and come to conclude that they're just for fancy effects.  I kind of like them but at first couldn't understand why someone would go through the hassle of making a roof frame without a roof ???

I am enlightened now
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

That is good.  Many people seek Enlightenment but never find it  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!