iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which brand tire chains

Started by goat704, April 09, 2018, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat704

Hey guys, newbie here.
I'm ready to buy some chains for my compact tractor with Farmi 351 winch.
I would like opinions regarding Ofa EKO8's vs Aqualine Talon's vs Tryg SMT 8's.
It looks like I can get my choice for around the same price. 700.00 - 800.00 w/shipping.
I'm going to be skidding deadfall and selective cut's on my own property, no pavement travel.

Tin Horse

Welcome.
Don't know much about the other brands but mine are older Trygg's. They've worked great for me.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

thecfarm

Winter time use? Logging with the tractor full time?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goat704

Quote from: thecfarm on April 09, 2018, 08:46:19 PM
Winter time use? Logging with the tractor full time?
Yes mainly winter use or bad mud. My logging will consist of cleaning up my 20 acres of old growth,
with lots of deadfall and selective thinning.

47sawdust

Where do you live? All the brands you mentioned will work just fine.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

goat704

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 10, 2018, 05:37:07 AM
Where do you live? All the brands you mentioned will work just fine.
I'm in Northern Mn. I do realize they would all work, just wondering if there are
Favorites amongst you guys.
Is any one brand made better, or with tougher materials, lasts longer?
I only want to spend money on chains once.
skidders and construction machines.
EKO 8 & EKO 9 TIRE CHAINS

The EKO 8 has 8 mm chain links and 9 mm studs. The side chain is 8 mm.

The EKO 9 has 9 mm chain links and 10 mm studs. The side chain is 9 mm.

Use these tire chains on machines for snow clearance, agricultural and light forest work.
I've found a supplier for the EKO8 at 475.00, think my decision is made.

barbender

I've never bought tractor chains, but I do have some experience with chains on large forwarders. We put some Nordic brand chains on one machine, that I have been very impressed with. They don't stretch, very heavy duty. I don't know if they make them for tractors.
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen

I have Norse chains on my Ford NAA, and Trygg on my Fiat 45-66DT. Careful of fender clearance on the compact tractor. They make wheel spacers, but not cheap.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Tin Horse

I run mine all winter for sawmill logs and firewood. FX 90 winch. Especially good on ice. They're easy to take off but I hate putting them on. My son loves it so he does it now. 8)

John Mc

Goat704 -

You've mentioned three brands all of which have an excellent reputation and are a good choice for using a tractor in the woods. I have the Ofa Eko 8 chains on my tractor and have been very happy with them. I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the Trygg or Aqualine of similar design.

I started out with 4 link ladder style with v-Bar. These worked well for clearing snow from my gravel driveway (though would have been just "OK" had I been using a front mounted snow plow due to more limited lateral traction than other options), and was fairly good when traveling at higher speeds over the road. It was not so good working on side-hills in the woods.

I next tried studded Duo-Grip style chains. These were good clearing snow on the driveway, and had good lateral traction for use on side-hills in the woods. They were horrible at high speeds on the road (even gravel roads). I wasn't sure what I was going to shake apart first: my tractor or me. This was an issue, since I regularly need to run my tractor over the road between two properties. I did not even make it through one winter with them, though they would be fine for someone who did not need to do over-the-road transport.

The Ofa Eko 8 chains are definitely keepers. Excellent forward and lateral traction, on the driveway and in the woods, and a smooth ride for over-the-road transport. I've got a smaller tractor with a Uniforest 35E logging winch (similar capability to a Farmi 351) and a Sundown GR40 Forestry Grapple on the front. I use it in the woods regularly on my own property and when working with others in their woods. The chains have made a huge difference.

I've not used the Aqualine or Trygg, but the design is similar and should produce similar results.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

goat704

Quote from: Tin Horse on April 10, 2018, 07:12:20 PM
I run mine all winter for sawmill logs and firewood. FX 90 winch. Especially good on ice. They're easy to take off but I hate putting them on. My son loves it so he does it now. 8)
Which ones do you use?

Tin Horse

I use the Trygg"s. I'm sure they're all good. My son gets them on tighter than I can but no movement on roads with varying terrain. They're off now for the season. Tough on the ground when not frozen or snow covered.

goat704

I would like to thank everybody for your time and input!
I'm going to order the EKO 8's as I think the price REED'S quoted is outstanding for this quality of chain.
LOG ON.

Thank You Sponsors!