iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Saw Head Chain Fix

Started by highleadtimber16, January 23, 2019, 09:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Around 5:00 last night, I finished my cut and started raising my head. I heard and felt a large clunk. Two pins going through the chain drive links had snapped and were backing out, and had broke an outside link. Getting parts around here usually takes 2-3 days, so I had to make my own to keep going. I used a couple 1/4" bolts and shaved them down with a grinder. Then I grabbed a spare shim I had for my bucket pin, drilled some holes and cut it into the shape of a link. I put it together and tacked the ends to keep them from sliding out. Hopefully she'll hold till the new links come from Woodmizer.

8X16 Free of heart Fir 25' long
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

beav

That is quite the piece of wood!!!
reminds me of my youth!!
I think you should consider replacing the whole chain. If one link wore out enough to break the others must be getting there

terrifictimbersllc

Can I ask how old is that chain?  Do you think it was normal wear or something else that caused the fault?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beav

It kinda looks to me like the chains may be set up incorrectly. They touch each other, possibly wearing the pin boss flush with the side plate. This could allow the plate to fall off and consequent failure.
I'd get a new chain and put a spacer between the idler sprockets
!

beav

Woops. Double row chain. Please ignore my previous post

highleadtimber16

The chain has 3035 hours on it. I will be ordering a new chain with my next box of blades. As to what caused the breakage, I'm not sure. The pins were seized and I had to use heat to get them out.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

donbj

Just my two cents but I would order that chain pretty quick. Wouldn't want the head taking a ride without it some day.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!