iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 340D Forwarder

Started by Horselog, April 02, 2015, 02:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on a John Deere 340D forwarder?  I have an old C5D Treefarmer and am looking to upgrade and found several 340D's for sale. I have a dealer very close so parts shouldn't be a problem. I am just wondering about John Deere vs Franklin vs Tree Farmer. I've also looked at several timber jacks. Any thoughts about usability or experiences would be appreciated.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

BargeMonkey

Ive noticed a few more around for sale. The D series skidders where good, i have the 340D books if you needed information. Minimum i would run is 23.1 tires, my jack 230 longbunk still seems tippy with 23.1's, 18.4's forget it when unloading.

Horselog

Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Maine logger88

The skidders had a non turbo 4-276 I don't know if the forwarders had a turbo or not. The 4-276/4045 is one of the best engines for small to medium sized equipment IMHO!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

Im not 100% sure but they where all converted skidders, ive seen a bunch of them out in the lake states for sale. It will have a 6F 3R manual trans. I dont know about some of the loader parts, i would call around before i buy. We dont run our forwarder alot, but if we did my jack would go down the road. Stopping and spinning the seat around would drive me nuts all day. I would find a 230A or 610, the Serco 4000 loader is good but the later ones had the european style extend a boom loaders, evern with 17ft of reach its still a pain.

Thank You Sponsors!